Help Selecting the Right Amps

Griff1324
10+ year member

PA
I am about to finish the restoration of my '65 Mustang. I have picked up a set of Alpine SPX-17REF components to use in the passenger compartment and a pair of Alpine Type-X 10" subs for the trunk. I am just as happy to listen to the sound of my V8 and the dual exhaust over the stereo. However, I do like my music and wanted a decent stereo system in the car. With all of that said, I do not need a system that is going to shake the ground a block away (that is what my engine and exhaust is for).

Since I am more of a home theater guy then a car stereo guy, I need some advice on which amps to run. I would like to stick with Alpine due to the fact that all my other stereo components are of the same brand. I have been looking at the PDX and MRP models of the Alpine Amps. Here are some questions that I have.

1. Are there any major differences between the two that I need to worry about?

2. Do I need a 2 or 4 channel amp for the SPX-17Ref components since they come with crossovers?

3. How much power do I need to run the SPX-17ref components?

4. I know that the Type X subs can handle a lot of power. However, I am not looking to push them to their extreme. Would a 1000 watt mono amp be suffient to get a decent response from the subs or would I be better off with two 500-600 watt mono amps?

Any other suggestions, comments and tips are appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Do you think that one 1000 watt amp will be sufficient to allow these subs to provide a nice punch? As I stated earlier, I know these are some power hungry subs but all I am looking for is a nice system to go along with my nice ride.

Do you think that one 1000 watt amp will be sufficient to allow these subs to provide a nice punch? As I stated earlier, I know these are some power hungry subs but all I am looking for is a nice system to go along with my nice ride.
I'm surprised no one else has replied. I don't know how much power will be needed to drive your subs to the level you will want. I looked at Alpine amps and saw that they don't work at 1 ohm. if you have dual 4 ohm subs, I think you do, you will need a amp that will work at 1 ohm. You might need to go with another brand.

Sorry for the delayed response. If I am not mistaken, it is recommended to use a sealed box with the Type-X subs.

2 channel amp for the components, i always found components to sound better in stereo than mono.

For subs, Mono amp..1000wrms is more than enough for the Alpine Type X subs..

You can run that sub in both sealed or a ported enclosure, it will play well regardless. Ported will have more output...

A "nice" system can mean anything..I think you will be better off with a pair of alpine type R 8s ported, with the component set up front amped..

I already have the Type-X 10" subs and the components. Now I am just looking for amps. Due to the limited trunk space that I have, along with the fact that I am not looking to rattle windows on homes two blocks away, I am seriously considering just using one of the 10" subs. I am thinking about using an Alpine MRP-M850 to power the 10" Type-X.

At the end of the day, I am just looking for a nice sounding system for some clean high's and mid's and a bit of a punch on the low end. I am not looking to rattle any fillings loose in my teeth. I just want a good sounding system to go along with one hell of a nice looking car.

I already have the Type-X 10" subs and the components. Now I am just looking for amps. Due to the limited trunk space that I have, along with the fact that I am not looking to rattle windows on homes two blocks away, I am seriously considering just using one of the 10" subs. I am thinking about using an Alpine MRP-M850 to power the 10" Type-X.
I would just use one. And seeing as how it's rated at 1000 rms and you wanna keep all alpine I suggest the MRX-M100 or under power it A little with an MRP-M500. Just put it in a decent box.

Factory specs:

Sealed: .5cuft - 1cuft

Ported: .8cuft - 1.5cuft

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.