Amp Suggestions/ System Advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

nitroxide1

I'm going to reinstall my old system into my new car. It's been a while since I've delved into car audio so forgive me if I sound uninformed. I got the system around 2006 so its some older parts. I had an Elemental Designs nine.1 amp and that crapped out on me so I'm looking to get a mono block amp for the sub and an amp to power my 4 elemental designs components (6.5" mid, tweeter, crossover).

The sub is a Diamond Audio D9 12" 4ohm, 800 watts RMS. It's in a ported box. I'd like to run it at 2ohms, and have something that supplies the appropriate amount of power. Should it be at 800 or higher?

The 4 sets of components are about 65 watts RMS and I'd like an amp that can run them all at the right power rating.

I have a kenwood receiver (KDC X889) that is 4x22 RMS watts.

It has a 24bit sound processor so is it still good by todays standards (got it in 06)? I dont care that it doesn't have a usb connection, I'll do it old school with mp3 cds.

I have some left over Second Skin sound dampening that I plan on ordering more of to dampen up the car to reduce vibration.

I mainly listen to hip-hop, electronic, instrumental, down-beat music. Definitely a fan of bass. My car is a 2009 Honda Accord.

I prefer to get higher quality items vs cheaply made products. I am about best bang for the buck, so if anyone could point me to a couple of quality amps that are a good value I would appreciate it. My price range for both amps is about $800.

After I get the amps and extra dampening, is there anything else I would need? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

well, you are really going to have to focus on your power supply, as well. find out what size your alternator is, plan on doing "the big3". are you just looking for new, or is used an option?

well, you are really going to have to focus on your power supply, as well. find out what size your alternator is, plan on doing "the big3". are you just looking for new, or is used an option?
I'd prefer new. I got my nine.1 used and it ended up having to be sent back twice under warranty to get repaired so I'd rather avoid potential head aches by getting it new.

I'm not sure how to find how many amps my alternator is, I tried googling but couldn't find any reliable info, just sales for other alts. Someone told me on another forum that it's probably 130amps. I will do the Big 3 upgrade for sure, and will consider getting a new battery if that's necessary.

For say 50-75W a side on the fronts and 800W to a sub you should only need a healthy factory electrical system (big 3 always helps).

Have you considered the Alpine 5 channel PDX? Stay away from the 1st gen as they are known to be noisy. They do a pretty good job and are efficient and don't take up much space.

I think there's probably a few decent 5/6 channels that'll do what you're looking for.

Ya, the PDX were suggested on another forum, but the PDX 5 only puts out 300 watts on the bass channel and I'd like to run a bit more power to my sub (my nine.1 was doing 900 wrms @ 2 ohms). If I was gonna get a PDX I'd look at the M6 which does 600 @ 2 ohm, but for that price point wouldn't it make sense to get a Sundown SAX 1200D (cheaper and more powerful)? If you have another amp in mind that's comparable quality/value please let me know.

Also, some people mentioned that I shouldn't even replace my stock rear speakers and just put in the eD's in the front. Is this a good method? Wouldn't the stock speakers make the sound worse since they're not as good as the eD's? Or should I just disconnect the rear speakers? Please let me know which is best and why, thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.