Help with build for '51 Chevy 3100. Hidden with external speakers and P.A.

Participant count
  • Participant list

51chevy3100

This truck is being restored in memory of LCpl Phillip Vinnedge who was killed in Afghanistan. It will be a show truck used in parades and other events. We need a hidden system (probably under the seat) with external speakers to play music and have a public address system. I would prefer permanent external speakers that are hidden, but would consider an external jack that we plug in speakers once at an event. Inside sound is not so important as the truck won't be driven much, but it just as well have a couple hidden speakers inside. I would prefer a 12v. system but installing an inverter could be considered. Ideas?

fallenherosdreamride.org

Will it be mainly used for public address? Or music? Or both? Are you starting from scratch, and need ALL the equipment?

Youre going to be flamed for wanting speakers outside the car, even though its mainly for parades.

Ive done a ton of setups with speakers under the vehicle for demoing at shows and stuff, and you can get it pretty loud and clean sounding for not much money if you know what to look for. Heres what Id do:

Radio: Pioneer DEH-6300UB Car MP3 CD Players at Onlinecarstereo.com

Amp 1: MB Quart ONX4.125 - 1000W RMS ONYX 4-Channel Car Amplifier/Amp

Amp 2: MB Quart Q4.80 (Q480) Q-Series 4-Channel Car Amplifier

Mids: Selenium 6W4P 6" Woofer 264-422

Tweeters: Selenium ST200 Super Tweeter 264-348

Horns: Selenium D250-X 1" Phenolic Horn Driver 1-3/8"-18 TPI Pro Audio Compression Driver 264-204

Bodies: Selenium HM11-25 1" Exponential Horn 60x60 1-3/8"-18 TPI 264-306

Get 8 of the 6" mids, and 8 of the tweeters. Run them inside the truck off the bigger 4 channel amplifier. Put 4 mids on each front channel, and 4 tweeters on each back channel. You will have loud music inside the truck, and it will be loud outside as well. Just put a cap on the tweeters so they play from about 4-5khz and up. Then take the second, smaller 4 channel amp and put a switch on its remote wire, so you can turn it on and off separate from the rest of the system. Then wire 2 horns per channel on the amp. Put them outside the truck. You can mount some behind the grill, or just under the vehicle. The best way to do it is to make little baffles to mount them to, and then to secure them under the vehicle. Ive used zip ties numerous times, and it works great. Cross the horns to play from about 400-500hz and up and youre set. You would have the loudest truck at the show, and probably anywhere in your town all together.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.