Hmm...Rainbow says don't go active?

I'm merely passing along what I've heard. I never claimed to have experienced this for myself. Read post 5 in this thread, if you care to...
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38718&highlight=mcsq+tweets
So in other words:

There are some speakers that NEED their passive crossovers to function properly. I once read a post on DIYMA where someone said that the Memphis MCSQ tweeters would load up and spontaneously make your ears bleed if ran active. He learned the hard way.

Having not tried it, how can any of us know for sure? I agree it sounds strange... how would a passive network be any different than an active one?

... But on the other hand, this guy has pointed me in the right direction a time or two. I don't know. I wish I would have asked him about it.

Take it for what it worth, I guess...

As stated before, it's prob more of a warranty issue because most user aren't experenced enough in the area of active setups to do it properly, thus they designed it to operate at it's best given a passive alignment. If no one has ever noticed Boston Acoustic's does the same thing with it's components as well:D:D:D

yea as stated a few times already, it's probably for warranty purposes since most users can't even comprehend the concept of going active. It shouldn't be a problem if you know what you are doing.

There is nothing out of the ordinary in those crossovers, and nothing out of the ordinary in their tweeter design that would lead me to believe that you can't run them active or that it would cause any problems as long as you are using a steep slope and not crossing over too low

There is not one tweeter in existance that knows the difference between a signal filtered with a passive crossover network or an active crossover network, given it receives the same signal.

There is no "magic" in a passive crossover outside of a protection circuit which, in this case, is Rainbow's just cause in it's warning label.

If you're not sure, don't do it. Use the passive to be on the safe side.

Why waste money on a componet set that includes corssovers if you are going to run active? Buy some woofers and tweeters from partsexpress/madisound/etc and save some money.
PE and Madisound don't sell Rainbow.

I was under the impression that the dude wants the Rainbow drivers but is intimidated by Rainbow's WARNING label.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.