How do you correctly install a satellite radio?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Wragold
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I've always seen them with the antenna wire hanging through the door jam. That cant be right. What's the correct way to run the the antenna wire a satellite radio? Is that the right way to run the wire? Im installing one tomorrow and thats why I want to know. Any tips? Its the modular stick to the window cigarette lighter one...If that makes sense.

Check the internet for instructions or maybe the manufacturer site

For as long as I've been here I haven't seen satellite radio come up once

so this might not be the crowd to ask, does anyone care to prove me wrong?

no that is the wrong way to do it as the very delicate antenna will be sandwiched across a piece of metal and eventually get severed.

There are a couple of ways to do it correctly....you can either keep the antenna in the vehicle and mount it on the dash or the rear deck, mount it on the trunk lid and run the wire in the any wiring from the trunk lid or you can route it through the firewall preferrably through a factory grommet.....and no there are no reception issues with them being inside the car as long as the antenna can see the sky.

i ran from the back of the unit under the dash to the door.. then there is the seal and i ran it under that all the way up and go the antenna in the middle of my roof no wire visible

Antenna inside the car, and get an FM direct adapter. Don't waste time with the abortion of an FM transmitter that comes in those things. The XMFX1 for XM and FMDA25 for Sirius, both are about $25.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.