How do you take out a factory head unit?

dereklovejoy
10+ year member

i know it takes a tool two of them actually. one on each side and its a little metal thing with two prongs on it and it goes in and squeezes together or something, but anyway where can i get these without buying a new head unit and is there any other way of getting it out?

That is a special Ford DIN removal tool. Either your local Ford Dealer or Auto Parts store should carry them, or be able to get you one. Expect to pay between $22-$35 for one though. You can also achieve similar results by using 4 small screwdrivers in each of the holes and gently pushing the bottoms of them in all at once to release the internal clips.

The first method is highly prefered and the best way.

take it easy,

-zane

You can buy ford Din tools off of ebay for about $10. If you try to use the small screwdrivers, you will probally mess up the radio and if you do that then it won't be worth anything. I found out that you can resale radios for a lot on ebay. I sold my 98 Ranger Deck w/ Cd player for $200!

After going to a couple of places and them telling me that the only way that i could get one is with a new hu, i went to walmart and found the din tool for $4.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.