How many caps should i have???

• Thread starter <thumpinblazr>
  • Start date
  • Replies 4
  • Views 2K
&

<thumpinblazr>

ok, i have a 1400 watt RMS @ 4 ohm mono amp running 2 12" rockford punch HX2's, i have about 500 to each right now. I have a 1 farad cap and a small alternator (either 60 or 80 amp). The lights still dim so bad that i dont really like to drive at night with any kind of bass at all. My question is how many caps should i have for 1400 watts if i dont want my lights to dim hardly at all? I was thinking of getting 2 more 1 farad caps? would that do the trick?

Also how much are high output alternators, do they hurt the cars electrical system, do they really make a huge difference, and are they worth it instead of more caps?

sorry for all the questions,

thanks in advance,

Dustin

That cap should be helping enough. I'd go with the alternator since a system is only as good as it base parts. You should be able to get like a 120 amp alt in like JcWhitney for 150 bucks, which is definitely cheaper than any good 1 farad cap you can get.

You need 1 farad per 1000 watts, so you might try getting another 1 farad cap. Or if you feel comfortable installing the alternator and you can get it for about $150, you can try that instead.

do high output alternators hurt your electrical system? i would think they would make the system work harder, is that right? cause if it is going to be about the same price and it wont hurt my truck, then i might go with the alternator.

The answer is no, it will not make your system work harder, it will just be better able to supply current to where it's required, not a bad thing. A friend of mine with a Ford Ranger upgraded his stock alternator to a high output one (I think it was 120Amps?), and he swears his system sounds much better, particularly on the low end. If anything, straining your stock alternator will shorten its life by causing it to work at max capacity longer. As well, it might shorten yours by denying the headlights their needed juice!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.