How to raise a 2002 grand am gt?

Lonnie
10+ year member

6'6 White Giant
WELL the guy I got it off has aftermarket rims on it. The rims are a bit too big...I can barely fit my hand in between the shocks and tire...and when my fat ass sits in the car it of course rubs a little. Well im 6'6 and not 100% made of fat...but kegs>6 packs the end. ANYWAYS it always rubs and even worse when I turn the wheel. SOOOO yea...cheaper for me to just raise the front end maybe half an inch to an inch. So yea how hard is it exactly? Do I just buy larger/stiffer shocks or what? Im kinda worried about anyone else riding with me right now due to the rubbing lol. Especially since low profile tires are ****ing pricey as ****.

Lol i dont know about Grand am's but on trucks if you lift it 3 inches or lower its cheap as hell you just put spacers in. it might be the same thing... are they stock shocks or are they adjustable?? but the guy before sounds like he didnt like wheel gaps lol

go to your nearest advance auto or oreiley's auto parts and ask for suspension blocks they are small steel blocks that are adjustable u put inside ur spring and crank em untill it raises ur car about a good inch or 2 that should take care of it. i just bought 22's for my car and had the same problem bc of my subs in the trunk got them put em in and now no more scrubbing. beats the hell outta buying new tires

go to your nearest advance auto or oreiley's auto parts and ask for suspension blocks they are small steel blocks that are adjustable u put inside ur spring and crank em untill it raises ur car about a good inch or 2 that should take care of it. i just bought 22's for my car and had the same problem bc of my subs in the trunk got them put em in and now no more scrubbing. beats the hell outta buying new tires
Ty I will go ahead and do that in the morning then. Wanting to do a few things to car tomorrow since its my day off of both work and school.

Edit: Looked on oreillys site...didnt find any.

ALSO

1. Never use blocks on the front of your vehicle (very dangerous).
http://www.jackit.com/blocks/blocks.htm

From that site..

Lol i dont know about Grand am's but on trucks if you lift it 3 inches or lower its cheap as hell you just put spacers in. it might be the same thing... are they stock shocks or are they adjustable?? but the guy before sounds like he didnt like wheel gaps lol
Aye he wants to put 22s on the Caddy I traded him when the max it can handle without rubbing is 17...gonna look like ****...dont wanna tell him that though since I still owe him $1300 lmao. Anyways they are stock shocks if im not mistaking. I doubt they have ever been changed since its just a 8 year old car...WELL it does have 140,XXX miles on it. Doubt it has been changed though since they are pretty rusty.

Ok did a little digging and apparently the size of the rim is fine at 18"...which is what the size is. Also supposed to be fine if its a 19" with low profile tires. Mines a 18 with low profile...SOOO yea.

Wheel sizes, hubrings and more. READ THIS FIRST. - GrandAmGT.com Forum

Did a little more digging and figured out that a bad bearing will make a humming sound as you drive...and will get worse if you turn the direction towards the bad bearing. Every time I turn right the sound gets louder...SOOO yea. Im just gonna assume its a bad bearing and the 1" clearance from the shocks to the rim is fine.

Well what do you consider low profile? You should be running a 225/40/18 on them. First number can vary depending on with of the wheel. Could be the offset though. Guy sounds like he just went out, bought **** and put it on without any thought of proper fitment. But yes, look into the bearings, very common issue with grand ams

lol a grandam on donks. i bet that looks hilarious.
ACTUALLY it doesnt look that bad. Plan on taking a couple pics of the side that looks better and posting it on this forum and my myspace. The other side...the rear window isnt tinted...also the main back window isnt. The guys wife decided she didnt want the car anymore so she broke out 2 of the windows and broke the wiper switch...so yea he just got the windows to sell the car and didnt bother tinting.

Well what do you consider low profile? You should be running a 225/40/18 on them. First number can vary depending on with of the wheel. Could be the offset though. Guy sounds like he just went out, bought **** and put it on without any thought of proper fitment. But yes, look into the bearings, very common issue with grand ams
Actually thats exactly what it is lmao. Eathier the guy guestimated or he actually looked a bit. WELL I think it might have been 235 instead of 225...not 100% sure. Looked at it this morning...but I do know it is 2X5. Will look at it again here in a bit.

~~~~~~~~

Heres the pic btw

IMG_3234.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The link about blocks you posted saying not to use them, is for 4x4's that use leaf sprung suspensions in the front, there's a lot of torque put on the axles during stopping, which you wouldnt need to worry about as much with the IFS on your grandam, which is held up by (assuming) coilovers.

Now, I'm not condoning you lifting your grandam, seeing as a hammer would probably solve your rubbing issue, but the blocks that the person suggested earlier are *safe*.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.