I dont get it?

NewToTheGrounds
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Canada,ON
I have a question i have an amp and where everything connects to the amp like +power -GND and my out puts to my subs there all little screw down clamps that would fit about a 10gage wire the thing is my power wire is 0gage and to hook it up to my amp ive had to file it down and split it to fit it into where it goes on the amp. I mean i cant run a 10gage wire for my power line lol why did they make this point where i connect it to the amp for the - and + so small ive looked at some of my friends amps and some of them have the same deal.

What amplifier are we talking about here?

I have a feeling you are talking about the barrier-strip type connections, where you are supposed to use a ring terminal on the wire.

600 watt sony xplode is what i have and my buddy has a 700 watt soundstorm he has the same hook up as mine

lol ya i have 0gage for my + and - had to sit there with a file for awhile to get it down

You could also get a distribution block that breaks the 1/0 down to 8 ga. size. I run 1/0 gauge and the dist. block breaks it into two 8 gauge cables with fuses.

The dist. blocks can usually be picked up for less than $30.

I've always run 8 gauge to my amps after being split from a larger gauge (2 gauge on my last setup) and never had an issue.

This is the block that I'm running right now :

sf2mdlpt.jpg

The larger gauge goes in one side, then through the fuses, then 2 8 gauge come out the other side.

oh ok thats cool i always thought if u run like an 8gage ur "******* golf balls through a garden" hose kinda thing or the wires might heat up

oh ok thats cool i always thought if u run like an 8gage ur "******* golf balls through a garden" hose kinda thing or the wires might heat up
You wouldn't want to run a massive output amplifier off of 8awg cable but it can work fine providing that the current that the amp would be trying to draw through it isn't more than it is capable of supplying.

Both my monoblock and my 4ch amps are powered by 8awg coming off of distribution blocks (though both 8awg runs are less than 1.5 feet long) and as of yet it hasn't caused any problems. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

For that Xplod amp, you dont need to run anything below 8 guage.

Those amps dont put out what you think they do.

600 watt Sony Xplod amp puts out around 200 watts total rms, if that

cool, thanx alot everyone eho answered ill go to an audio shop see if i can get one of those blocks or just ruun sum 8gage thanks for all the help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I suggest buying a new amp while you are there. But thats just from my pervious experiences from going through 3 of them and a couple of my friends going through 2 of them. Ah the good ole days as a youngin. Hell they were free... wonder why

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

NewToTheGrounds

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
NewToTheGrounds
Canada,ON
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date