I haven't the slightest idea where to begin with my setup...

Participant count
  • Participant list

AlaskanNoob

Hello as my name says i'm a total noob at car audio, and to forums and their rules/guidelines. So any help would be greatly appreciated. So I been working on my 94 suburban and now the mechanical is fixed I bought a stereo from a friend and alpine deck sufficient for now, but all the speakers were blown. My suburban only has four speakers 2 in dash 4 1/2 x 6s I think and 4x11 all the way in the back roof by barn doors changed them wired to deck. I wanted a sub and bought a ppi275 2 channel amp and a ported enclosed box for 2 12" kenwood w3003's 4 ohm 300 watts or so RMS. I'm trying to do the best on a budget and upgrade small things until everything is ready to take a step up. I got a 1000 watt wiring kit with 100 watt fuse from stinger. Now here is where im getting stuck. I can only run one sub cause the amp is too weak to power both subs, so it is safe for my other sub to be in the box unpowered while I blast my one sub??? my box setup has plexiglass over the face of the two subs where they share the space but behind the subs they have their own space and 2 ports. the other question is, Can I buy another amp that is different, or the same amp and same wiring kit to run one amp to each sub? Or will they battle against each other in that enclosed airspace and kill one off? I'd also like to know about this stuffing the boxes, Should I fill my walls up a little for deeper bass or dynomat the inside of the box? I am gonna upgrade the amp but just not for a month or two. Lastly My amp runs at 150 wattsx2 @ 2 ohms or 300 wattsx1@4 ohms what can I do with my setup for now to get the deepest bass with what I got? One sub sounds ok if the sub setting on radio is all the way up to 15 and the gain is up 3/4's with bass boost up to 3/4's

you can power both subs. They'll be louder with each getting 150wrms rather than one getting 300 by itself.

Sounds like you also have a prefab 4th bandpass box too. Run both subs and there wont be a problem.

Ok well Last night I wire them both in each to their own channel...was like 75watts rmsx2 @ 4 ohms...And it wasn't anything like running one sub...So I have two 4 ohm svc subs how can I wire them in this box and make it a 2 ohm load? Cause the 75 watts wasn't near enough. I looked on crutchfield and seen wiring guides but they didn't have a positive negative sign where I needed them...It just wasn't simple enough I guess and my box may need some holes drilled so I only want to drill once...

that amp you bought has no power at all for practical subwoofer applications. 75 watts is nothing.

I think it's best you upgrade to a class D monoblock amp that is capable of at least 500wrms at 2 ohms of resistance. You can parallel both subs onto the monoblock to create a 2ohm load for the amp and have both subs receive a potential of 250watts per sub, for a total of 500.

Also it's best that you tune your amp to your head unit with a test tone CD and DMM. And leave the bass boost at its lowest position, there's no need for it. It's not free power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.