I'm trying to pick out a head unit

Gurileck
10+ year member

I have an 08 Cobalt LT. Unfortunately, I have to buy a harness for the Onstar/door chimes that is over $100, and another harness for the steering wheel interface. Anyway, it has a double din slot, but I haven't found anything double din that has what I want, although I think I would like that better because it would look nicer.

I would like something with 3 sets of pre-outs, MP3 and USB capabilities - preferably a head unit that will remember what you were listening to and pick up in the same place when you turn the car back on. I think those are the only things that are really important to me.

Through reading about, I've looked at the Clarion DX785USB and Alpine CDA-987, or the Kenwood KDV-412.

I am not sure though if I am looking at something to big. I don't want to over do it, but at the same time I don't know if the next model down will suit my needs just fine.

Thanks for any advice and let me know if there are any important details I have left out.

Only issue i would think of is of the whole detactchable face issue with double din decks. Most of them are not detachable, and if there are some, thats a big ass face to carry around with you.

I have an 08 Cobalt LT. Unfortunately, I have to buy a harness for the Onstar/door chimes that is over $100, and another harness for the steering wheel interface. Anyway, it has a double din slot, but I haven't found anything double din that has what I want, although I think I would like that better because it would look nicer.I would like something with 3 sets of pre-outs, MP3 and USB capabilities - preferably a head unit that will remember what you were listening to and pick up in the same place when you turn the car back on. I think those are the only things that are really important to me.

Through reading about, I've looked at the Clarion DX785USB and Alpine CDA-987, or the Kenwood KDV-412.

I am not sure though if I am looking at something to big. I don't want to over do it, but at the same time I don't know if the next model down will suit my needs just fine.

Thanks for any advice and let me know if there are any important details I have left out.
Do you want it to play video? Pretty much every deck should have the ability to start over from where you left it at.

Only issue i would think of is of the whole detactchable face issue with double din decks. Most of them are not detachable, and if there are some, thats a big ass face to carry around with you.
The OP didn't say anything about detectable face.

thanks for the info on the replaying. About 4 years ago I had a fairly cheap unit (can't remember the brand) but it would not remember how far into the song you had played and would restart the song everytime you restarted the car which I did not care for.

After some more looking, it seems like the Kenwood DDX6019 would be worthwhile, although it is a bit higher priced, I can get it for under $600 from onlinecarstereo.com. It can do everything I want and then some, and the only issue I see (aside from a slightly higher price point) is 2v pre-outs but I don't intend to have too much coming off it so I think it will be ok.

Crutchfield says my depth is 6-5/8" and the head unit is listed as 6.4" deep. It should fit right? Or do you need to allot a certain amount of leeway, and if you do, how easy is it to make it fit? I don't want to drop all this money and find out it won't fit.

thanks for the info on the replaying. About 4 years ago I had a fairly cheap unit (can't remember the brand) but it would not remember how far into the song you had played and would restart the song everytime you restarted the car which I did not care for.
After some more looking, it seems like the Kenwood DDX6019 would be worthwhile, although it is a bit higher priced, I can get it for under $600 from onlinecarstereo.com. It can do everything I want and then some, and the only issue I see (aside from a slightly higher price point) is 2v pre-outs but I don't intend to have too much coming off it so I think it will be ok.

Crutchfield says my depth is 6-5/8" and the head unit is listed as 6.4" deep. It should fit right? Or do you need to allot a certain amount of leeway, and if you do, how easy is it to make it fit? I don't want to drop all this money and find out it won't fit.
If you're happy with that one, don't let the preamp volts let you down. With a lower voltage, you will just have to turn the gains on the amp up. I had the same dilemma: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269912

I don't know about the mounting size though. I always that all double DIN would fit the same.

everything will fit!

just might have to do a little more work

cobalts have plastic behind the h/u that needs to be removed to get a DD to fit(sd also maybe) cut the plastic out and remove the screws that hold on the metal bar and then it should fit no prob.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.