Image dynamics id 8

you could do an enhanced sealed box using 2 12 inch radiators and 4 8 inch subs. The box is built to sealed box specs and the radiators would tune the box to 25 HZ. The biggest challenge is fitting it all in a small box during designing.
Ok, so would could you recommend specific 8’s that would work? I really want to try this. If not the Vegas, then which?

I could fit the 12” radiator with no prob
It looks like 4 8s and 2 10 inch radiators would work well. If you put 2 10 inch radiators in a 2 cube box, along with the 255 grams of weight that comes preinstalled with the 10 inch earthquake radiators, after the sub displacements, that would make it probably a 1.75 cube box tuned to 25 HZ. If you model a traditional ported box for the 4 subs at 1.75 tuned to 25 HZ, that’s a very similar response curve to what dual 10 PR box will be. It’s louder than sealed, not as loud as ported, but will have better SQ than ported. fitting 4 8s and 2 10s on the same baffle won’t be easy, but it is probably possible.

It looks like 4 8s and 2 10 inch radiators would work well. If you put 2 10 inch radiators in a 2 cube box, along with the 255 grams of weight that comes preinstalled with the 10 inch earthquake radiators, after the sub displacements, that would make it probably a 1.75 cube box tuned to 25 HZ. If you model a traditional ported box for the 4 subs at 1.75 tuned to 25 HZ, that’s a very similar response curve to what dual 10 PR box will be. It’s louder than sealed, not as loud as ported, but will have better SQ than ported. fitting 4 8s and 2 10s on the same baffle won’t be easy, but it is probably possible.
Nice! Thanks for modeling that for me. Think I’m going to try this. The Cerwin Vegas was recommended by another member. They do have a fairly low fs. You said that basically any 8 will work so I will look around for other alternatives but I am definitely going to try out the quad 8’s with the pair of 10” radiators. I don’t think it should be a problem fitting everything in the same baffle. Front baffle will be around “54” across.

If you do the radiators, be very careful with them. They are fickle. I’d remove that rubber gasket and do a thin little stream of clear silicon around the surround. Youll see what I mean when you get them. When you screw them in, you should do it inside out, similar to how you put something on that has a gasket when repairing cars. Do it like a rear end cover is replaced so the gasket seals and doesn’t have a bubble in it.

the radiators on my box in the video are absolutely thrashed. I have half a tube of silicone holding those suckers together now. Lol. They’ve been in and out of multiple boxes and had the weights changed 20 different times probably. They are in their last enclosure ever at this point.

If you do the radiators, be very careful with them. They are fickle. I’d remove that rubber gasket and do a thin little stream of clear silicon around the surround. Youll see what I mean when you get them. When you screw them in, you should do it inside out, similar to how you put something on that has a gasket when repairing cars. Do it like a rear end cover is replaced so the gasket seals and doesn’t have a bubble in it.
Gotcha. I appreciate this. Hope to get this started soon. I will definitely post pics!

I think I’m getting drawn back into loudness when I just want some sound quality😩

Exactly! Let me ask you guys, those meso 6.5’s have a low xmax like 8/9mm. How much of a factor is that as far as loudness. I understand xmax but not sure if it won’t matter as much since I would be running 4 subs.

Sealed xmax/displacement is king. When it comes to loudness, power handling and xmech become important specs.

Some of this comes down to how are defining SQ. If you mean an RTA flat system, a pair of 8s or maybe trio of 8s sealed should get the job done. If you mean you no longer want an SPL beast, (ie SQL), then ported has alot of advantages and can outperform a sealed enclosure throughout it's bandpass.

Sealed xmax/displacement is king. When it comes to loudness, power handling and xmech become important specs.

Some of this comes down to how are defining SQ. If you mean an RTA flat system, a pair of 8s or maybe trio of 8s sealed should get the job done. If you mean you no longer want an SPL beast, (ie SQL), then ported has alot of advantages and can outperform a sealed enclosure throughout it's bandpass.
Think I’m going to give a quad of 8’a sealed a Shot, combined with dual 10” passives. I’ve some cash set aside for this so what the heck.
but hey, that could even change by morning,lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...