Imprint and which Alpine HU?

tee
10+ year member

You know
BR
Is there any benefits with the 9887 and its Imprint, versus any other Alpine unit that is Imprint compatible? I don't know how to tune, so I just want to get an Imprint compatible HU and let it tune for me. I don't any any extra tuning stuff, except for maybe some basic ones to tweak the Imprint a little bit.

How do the iDA-X100 or 305 sound with Imprint? I'm asking this because I would really prefer to use an iPod over cds, and the best options look like one of those mentioned.

Thanks alot.

the 9887 has all the abilities of an imprint kit built in, with the exception of the auto-tuning. it also requires a different imprint kit than the 9886 or ida line. the imprint kit for the 9887 gets connected to the unit, does it's auto tuning and the settings are saved in the 9887. i believe you can save more than 1 setting but don't quote me on that. the imprint it for the 9887 can be bought and returned to places like crutchfield for a nominal fee (they charge you ~$50 when you return it because they know what you bought it for).

things are a bit different for the 9986, x100, x305 and any other model that uses the other imprint kit. there are 2 parts to buy, the processor itself and the software/mic. the processor will give you the same controls that the 9887 has built in and allow you to tune the system manually to your liking. this processor must remain connected to the hu at all times or you will lose the ability to control the sound (with the exception of bass/treble controls built into the hu). the software/mic part is only used for the auto tuning part.

i had the x100 and the full imprint kit and i was less than pleased with the results. i did the auto tuning several times, from 3 mic positions to using all it would let me. i found i could do a much better job my manually changing all the settings vs using the mic. another problem the auto tuning has is that the sub levels are terribly low, so much so that some walk-thrus actually tell you to turn the gain up on the sub amp before you auto tune, then lower it back down to your tastes after if need be. i personally did not like the sq from the x100/imprint kit and promptly sold mine a week after installing it. i also had an x001 which cannot use the imprint kit and the sq on that was just as bad as the x100 imo.

I've used the X305 & x100 with the H100 processor. You have to remember the auto calibration is trying to give you a flat EQ response, not an over dynamic bass & treble sound.

I will separate my opinions by PROs & CONs.

PROs

• Decent job at producing a flat EQ curve.

• Great job with TA settings, really moved my sound stage up front.

• Purchase a 18ft AINET cable and have the processor next to your amps,

• Simple to use

CONs

• Once you auto calibrate, NO EQ, TA or crossover points/slopes adjusting.

• Sets crossover points to low, I believe it set my Polk SR6500s to 40 HZ every time I ran the tunning. Had to use the HPF on the amps.

• Sub levels are to LOW

That's all I can think of right now, if you have any specific questions let me know.

i could be wrong but i am pretty sure you are wrong about not being able to change the settings. i know i was able to go in and change anything i wanted to (via the hu controls) after the auto-tuning was done.

what's the point of buying the extra cable and having the imprint near the amps? most people, like myself, already have all the rca cables run from the hu to the amps.

i could be wrong but i am pretty sure you are wrong about not being able to change the settings. i know i was able to go in and change anything i wanted to (via the hu controls) after the auto-tuning was done.
what's the point of buying the extra cable and having the imprint near the amps? most people, like myself, already have all the rca cables run from the hu to the amps.
After the settings are done and you enable the "Imprint" you can't adjust settings. Trust me, I have used the H100 combo for some time. You can enable and disable when ever you want, but the changes you make will not affect the settings when you enable the Imprint again.

Having a single cable from the front to rear of the trunk made things easier on MY install. It's a much cleaner look IMO, plus I used 1.5' RCA cables which are cheaper than a 6 ch 15-18' cable.

The EQ on the 9887. Is there a 7 band graphic shared by both the front and rear? Or is there a separate EQ for the front and a separate one from the rear? (so the channels could be tuned differently)

This is from crutchfield.

Bass and Treble Controls: The headunit features independent Bass and Treble controls that allow you to adjust each setting from -7 to +7 once you have calibrated your vehicle's interior sound with the optional Alpine IMPRINT software (500KTX100E, sold separately).

After the settings are done and you enable the "Imprint" you can't adjust settings. Trust me, I have used the H100 combo for some time. You can enable and disable when ever you want, but the changes you make will not affect the settings when you enable the Imprint again.
Having a single cable from the front to rear of the trunk made things easier on MY install. It's a much cleaner look IMO, plus I used 1.5' RCA cables which are cheaper than a 6 ch 15-18' cable.

well we were both sorta right. if you let the system auto-tune for you once it is done you cannot change the settings. if you manually set everything (crossover points, ta, eq, etc) you can go back and change any setting you want to at any time without having to start over. this is just another reason, imo, to forget about the auto-tuning and do it yourself.

Has anyone used Imprint on more than one Alpine HU before? Were there any changes in SQ?

Ive done it on two rides. To correct a few ppl there are settings after the tune although nothing crazy. You get Bass and Treble adjustments. The low bass volume is easily fixed by lowering the gains before the tune then raising back up after the tune. This is even recommended in the manual. Someone mentioned this goes for a flat tune. That is not correct for Imprint. You get three CURVES to choose from. Each has its own sound and is by no means a flat sound lacking highs. I found I lacked some midbass after the tune. I also felt like the midrange was to sharp and not easy to listen to at high volume or close to high. I am still new to the Imprint also and there isn't much information out there on it. Plus I am doing one in a truck that has become more of a pain. In the end I can't get the sound as good as the Imprint can do. So that makes it worth it to me. I just wish I had more adjustment after the auto tune. Ive made 3 runs in a car and 1 run in my truck so there is still lots of playing to do.

Ive done it on two rides. To correct a few ppl there are settings after the tune although nothing crazy. You get Bass and Treble adjustments. The low bass volume is easily fixed by lowering the gains before the tune then raising back up after the tune. This is even recommended in the manual. Someone mentioned this goes for a flat tune. That is not correct for Imprint. You get three CURVES to choose from. Each has its own sound and is by no means a flat sound lacking highs. I found I lacked some midbass after the tune. I also felt like the midrange was to sharp and not easy to listen to at high volume or close to high. I am still new to the Imprint also and there isn't much information out there on it. Plus I am doing one in a truck that has become more of a pain. In the end I can't get the sound as good as the Imprint can do. So that makes it worth it to me. I just wish I had more adjustment after the auto tune. Ive made 3 runs in a car and 1 run in my truck so there is still lots of playing to do.
Did you mess with the Subwoofer System Settings? Because i know this adjustment will make the subs have their "own volume adjustment" or have it so they go up with the volume. Check the manual for more information.

As far as the imprint being better/worse on the 9887, i couldn't tell you but i do know that if the shop doesn't do the tuning properly, like what happened with me and got me charged 50$ for make my car sound like complete ****, It WILL make it sound horrible.

For example, I had a 9887 installed and "tuned" by a local shop and after i got it back i swore all they did was set the fader/balance all to the front driver side. Boy was i wrong.. they tuned it setting the microphone next to the speaker which made it sound like whatever speaker the listener is sitting closest to be the only speaker with sound.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

Good luck, and make sure it's tuned the proper way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.