infinite baffle subs

cd36

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300C with the 8 speaker Boston Acoustics sound system. I'm thinking of putting in my old stereo gear in place of the stock stuff, to get a nice upgrade over stock, without losing to much trunk space or making it to obvious to the outside world (don't need people breaking into the car). Basically if you look at the car I'd prefer it to look as stock as possible.

The head unit is going to be a Chrysler MyGig system from a 2010 Chrysler 300. I can tap a set of RCA out's from it to supply my amps. My amps I'll be using are an older Coustic 400W sub amp and a Coustic 60Wx4@4ohm, 120Wx4@2ohm, 240Wx2@4ohm amp. I still can't let go of my A/D/S 320is's and while I know there is bigger and better out there, I will be reusing them. The only downside to them is the 5" midrange, when mated with my old 12" sub, could have almost used a midbass driver in there. That may come later.

Now my 300C came stock with an 8" BA sub mounted IB in the rear deck. I'm wanting to keep this mounting arrangement with as little modification as possible, so my question is. Does anyone know of a decent 8" IB sub that can run off of about 400watts @ 2ohm? I would like something in the $200-300 range, but if there is just nothing for that price I may look at spending a bit more. I'm not after insane sound levels, I just want a nice sounding, balanced system. I liston to mostly rock n roll, with some country and newer rock thrown in (Tom Petty, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, Corb Lund Band, Blue Rodeo, The Tragically Hip, Johnny Cash, etc.)

Anyone have any suggestions? If 8" is just to small, I may be willing to cut up the deck to fit a 10" as well. Thanks!

Image Dynamics.... Pretty sure you can IB any of their subs. (maybe not their low end stuff) I would try an ID8"..... you may not need all that power though.

Image Dynamics.... Pretty sure you can IB any of their subs. (maybe not their low end stuff) I would try an ID8"..... you may not need all that power though.
ID8's are 250RMS if tuned right. Thats the high end of their RMS range. 300 is peak power for them.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have a bit of research to do. In my searching already it seems like most infinite baffle subs have a max power rating of around 200-300Watts RMS. Now I know IB can't handle as much power, but is my 400W @2ohm amp going to be to much? Should I be looking to run it at 4 ohm and get 200watts? Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.