infinity 6x9 speaker 3 way speaker REF 6953i.

skylai

Hi, i need help here. I bought a Pioneer cd http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProductDetails/0,1429,40~4010~4010600~1484,00.html receiver with 4x50 mosfet power, but i found that my current infinity 6x9 speaker {220 peak power} cannot handle,its seem to be causing distortion when i turn louder volume or set higher level of bass and loudness control.

Now i am considering this infinity REF 6953i http://international.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.asp?ProdId='REF+6953i%2F230'&Ser=REF&Cat=MEL&language=ENGLISH which can handle 100w rms and 300w peak.

Will it works better with my head unit ?

I am not using any amplifier.

Pls help.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: skylai ]

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: skylai ]

you are not giving your speakers enough power and thats why they are distorting, you should get a small 2 channel 50x2 amp or something like that to power the 6x9s cuz the deck couldn't possibly be putting more than 20w RMS to those speakers, and i am guessing that they are around at least 50-60w RMS, so get an amp!

Thanks for reply..

But i thought my cd player is powerful enough to drive the speaker..but why i cant turn louder volume and higher bass control..

The head unit could probably power a factory or low quality aftermarket speaker.

If you'll notice, the amp on you deck is probably half the size of the deck. Even the lowest wattage amps are much bigger. The power wire feeding your deck should also throw a red flag.

You just can't make a large amount of power in that small of space.

To push a speaker of that qulity to its potential you should be giving it it's RMS rated power.

The CD player just can't give the speakers enough power to really perform well.

The low power deck is clipping the output frequencies causing distortion.

Get an amp before you blow your speakers!

i got the alpine 7875 that puts out 60w x 4 and it runs my infinity reference components and 6x9s in the rear. It sounds good. The treble is real clear and you should have no problem with the deck powering ur references.

It's because when you turn the head unit up loud you are clipping the internal amp in the head unit. THis is what is causing the distortion. As mentioned previously your best bet would be to get a small amplifier. You can find something that size pretty cheap on ebay.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.