is it safe to have gain really high?

JayE

I've tried to search for an answer to this and failed to find one. I just completed installing my new amp/sub. The sub is a SA d4 wired to 2 ohms and the amp is a hifonics x1100.1d.

I checked the resistance on my wiring of the sub and it reads 1.9-2.1 so I know I have that right. The amp is 700x1 @ 2ohm. I'd like to give my sub ~650watts. So I did the math (650 x 2) = 1300. Square root of which is 36.05.

Now to my question. . I was trying to set my gain with a DMM and found that I get 37v with the gain maxed and everything on my HU at 0. Is it safe/ok to run the amp with the gain maxed out or nearly maxed? if not, what are my options?

Thanks

The headunit is a Pioneer fh-x700bt. It has 2v outs unfortunately. I have everything at 0 on the head unit. Sub control and bass boost are both at zero.

Your HU should have an option on it for "Subwoofer" output. Mine, for example, goes from -15 to +15. I tuned mine with it at +15 so I knew I'd never clip it.

That helped a lot. i set the sub control to +6 and got totally different results. I set the gain to about 1 o'clock which read 35.8v. That's ~640w if I understand it correctly.

I think I had the lpf on the hu set wrong as well. I had it at 50, it's at 200 now. That about right for a 12?

I drove around for a little while trying different types of music. It hits great with some rap or bass track stuff, but seems like it's almost not even there listening to some indie rock or anything at low volume. It just doesn't seem quite right to me. Any suggestions?

I'm going to rebuild my box when I get time (hopefully next weekend). I didn't quite understand the concept of loading and cut the hole to far off center.

v5RSTXi.jpg

Any suggestions to get more pronounced bass at lower listening levels?
IMO, the only way to do that is more cone area. I've tried many single 12" ported setups and it was always quiet when I had my music low. Even when I had 2 12" sealed, it was more pronounced at lower listening levels. That is just my perception.

Well a second sub was already part of my future plan so no sweat there. I unfortunately can't really give up my backseat. I have to haul guys around with me at work a lot. I'm going to try to find time to rebuild the box correctly this weekend and I'll give it some time to break in. I did some more riding around listening to music and I did notice that it's starting to loosen up a little which is promising.

I really appreciate all the help!

Any suggestions to get more pronounced bass at lower listening levels?
Sounds to me like you want it to boom even when the overall volume of the music doesn't call for it.

You WANT bad sound quality.

Turn up your sub volume.

But keep in mind -- if you turn up the system volume with the sub volume high you'll be clipping pretty hard.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.