JBL avalon

raytard
10+ year member

So I figured I'd join here and see if anyone has any suggestions of where to go from here, need to do some sort of ill **** in the trunk this winter break

basically its a pioneer deh-p600 (the 690 is in the pics, got swapped out right after i finished everything build wise), hc1400 under the hood, hc600 in trunk, monster 0g front to back with kicker fuse, 200a iraggi alt, kicker/monster rca's, kicker 4g to amps, stinger 12g for speakers, fiberglass pods front and rear (rears with 662c were taken out), fronts hold 2 sets of 660c comps, 2 jbl power 1224 subs in a crappy custom box, gto1400 for subs, 2 gto1004 (one isnt even used...4 channels of 150rms@2ohm and 100@4ohm to be used with more highs, if you have any suggestions)

so heres some build pics of the fiberglass work and semi-finished pics, this is my daily car and i needed to get to work, so i never really got it 100%, just flecktoned the pods and called it a day, im considering just rebuilding them with a ssmb8 and ss 6.5in comp system in each door and wrapping in vinyl, i heard a set recently and loved the clarity and volume, the mids ****** tho, but an ssmb8 should compensate.

100_0035.jpg

100_0036.jpg

took the doors off and made a mold of the bottom part where there was a pocket (it just unscrewed from the back, gave me a nice area to throw some speakers in)

100_0038.jpg

6 rings cut with a jigsaw...not a half bad job if i may say so

supported with i think it was 3/4 in rod and hot glue...not the best idea, should have made it stronger for wrapping

100_0040.jpg

100_0041.jpg

wrapped up and some resin, i didnt really take pics of the rears, i just pulled the carpet off of the bottom of the door, traced it out on mdf, cut it out, mounted a ring, wrap/fleece/glass/bondo/flecktone/mount

100_0046.jpg

100_0047.jpg

100_0044.jpg

100_0045.jpg

test fit

100_0051.jpg

a pillar pods for 1 tweet...

100_0049.jpg

other mounted in vent

100_0057.jpg

bondo...

100_0059.jpg

100_0063.jpg

100_0062.jpg

painted and mounted

100_0061.jpg

100_0060.jpg

8in kicker vent cut into rear deck cuz im dumb and was bored...did nothing whatsoever, box comes so close to the top

100_0064.jpg

100_0042.jpg

subs and highs amps...theyre basically mounted there now, just stright and wired and theyre just kinda there, nothing is covered or anything, it looks like ass

100_0034.jpg

hc600, sub amp with rear seat out

so the idea is, either 2 15's in rear deck ported through armrest in back seat (looking at new sundown z15's) or 6 boston g5's in a fiberglass box using the spare tire well and a larger hump with them all mounted inverted(i can easily get the 6 cubes sealed they need back there)

any suggestions? budget isnt so much of an issue, anything huge has to wait till summer

before people start chiming in with obvious stuff, this was basically a learning project of how to get everything done, how stuff fits together, etc. Its not complete, and by no means final, like i mentioned i'm thinking about just getting a set kicker ss 6.5 coax and an ssmb8 in each door, and putting the tweeters somewhere where i'd actually get some staging. Dont really know what to do with the other 4-6 channels though. I have like 4 knockoff beyma 4in supertweeters in the stock locations, they are stupid loud but way too harsh to use all day. the rears need something too, it feels too incomplete with nothing back there, maybe the same ssmb8/ss6.5 treatment

my friend works at jo-anne fabrics and basically gave that stuff to me cuz i told her i needed fleece, i think it was 5 bucks for like 3 or 4 yards

but everyone loves the ducky print

theres usually 20$ worth of change laying around...but yea, thats splenda...these pics are from the beginning of summer, i basically got out of finals in college, ran home, unpacked, and started worth the next day, first paycheck went to supplies and work started, never cleaned it till a few days after these pics

Honestly I think the pods came out pretty good for sure, but why not go with a 8" mid bass in the door with a 3"-4" mid in the kicks (some more Fiberglass work for ya) and then get the tweeters into the a-pillars firing across at each other. Might no be the perfect setup for your car but its a good start on placement of gear. Ditch the speakers in the back doors and should be good.

As I said I think the pods look pretty good but just need a bit more thought on gear and placement and aiming of the drivers. You certainly seem to have the skills to pull of some pretty sweet stuff.

EDIT: The SS comp idea you have sounds pretty good, looks like you might have the room if you go up into the factory speaker area to get the 8" MB and the 6.5" mid in the door and then get the tweeters up on the pillar, or maybe both on the sail panel like you have on the passenger side. Bridge one of the 4-channels to the 8's and then the other can be used on the comp set.

like i said, this was kind of a 4 inch coax isnt going to cut it with 1200watts of bass so i need something, anything, so why not learn to glass pods(my dad is a marine mechanic, i used to be his assistant as like my first job when i was 13/14, so i learned how to glass boat hulls and stuff, never really did speaker pods)

these pods are way overbuilt...the front ones hold my 200lb 6 foot 1 body standing on them, the design needs refining, which is why im here for some advice.

kicks arent happening, theres not much room as it is, i go to school in oswego and the bottom part of my car is routinely filled with snow, drunk girls love to just jump in my car and break stuff, and im not going for competition status sq

sail panel tweeters firing across, thats def happening, i realized how wrong mine was kinda after the fact, v2 is def getting that, a-pillars are prob a bit too much work

those 8's are not taking the 300rms my amp would throw out bridged, im sure that using front l/r for the 6.5's (~125 watts rmsx2) and the rear l/r for midbass(100rmsx2) would be fine, but then i still have another amp, i dont want to push the speakers, i trale 6-13 hours to school depending on traffic and its going full blast, they need to last.

back doors are out, they got kicked too much, just gonna sell em to a friend sans destroyed grills and throw away the pods, redoing something back there would have to be something more creative, that design was waaaay too in the way

podv2.jpg

red line is new outline of how big the pod will be (part on bottom gives me access to 2 stock mounting holes)

yellow is placement...i guess see how stuff goes together as to where crosovers go, right now theyre basically screwed to the inside of the door, where it says"x-over?", the ss ones are much nicer, may want to display em

my plan to fit the 8 and 6...it should work, theres a lot of clearance in this car as you can see fron the pic where the door is closed up above. door to seat is like 5 inches, i should be fine on depth/enclosure volume. it would be 2 separate chambers.

any suggestion as to aiming of the 6.5? just straight out? something like i have now just angled up more?

I feel the exact same way about kick panels. There are just not for me specially since I know they will get KICKED lol. Would **** to put a boot through the speaker or just sling water or mud or dirt all over them when getting in and out of the truck.

Plans look pretty sweet should come out good. Aiming the passenger side mid at the drivers side headrest and the drivers side mid at the passenger headrest should work out pretty good. Tweeters have a lot more choices on aiming but some experimenting isn't too hard and seeing whatever works best for you. Laser pointer works pretty good for aiming the speakers, you can wing em pretty easily and all but the laser pointer definitely helps in getting the aiming down.

Looking forward to seeing the next setup. Your glass work is definitely nice.

thanks for the compliments on the glasswork, like i said, this was kind of my first venture into a car, but boats i've done quite a bit of (its surprising how many people crack their hulls one way or another)

the vent tweeters were honestly cuz i had nowhere else to put them, i ran out of ideas and driving to work every day with my dash half apart, all the door panels, trim, rear seat, etc out was really getting to me, i had an extra set of tweets and it took less than 10 mins to hot glue em in there and wire it up, and yes, everyone jokes about moving the vents to change the staging, i get it, retarded move

as far as the grills, they're ugly and weak...atleast one a month gets destroyed...good thing i can sell power speakers to customers and keep the grills when we install them=)

and i like that laser idea, might have to pick one up and do some work with ductape and a jig to get my aiming correct.

and for tweeters, im going to be smart this time, wire them, and see where they work best, then build a mount of some sort for them, ive seen everything from tops of doors, bottom of doors, top of a pillars, bottom of a pillars, dashboard facing straight back, dash facing glass, it goes on and on...guess i just have to leave myself like 10 feet of wire and see what works

and because im a fan of exess...plan b: red lines=pod boundries, yellow is speaker placement, that weird thing over the 8 is a bad attempt at the kicker logo, which would look pretty sick imho

podv3.jpg

again, thanks for all the input guys

and if anyone has experience cutting out the rear deck of a toyota and throwing some 15's in a ~6 cube box with 3kw ported through the armrest, leave a comment, i might need some help with that one, lol.

may end up being the winter project cuz theres no glass involved, save the glass for spring/summer

so he can aim his highs and air at the same time:laugh:
Hahahahahahahaha

Nice. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Anyways good job with the door pods, I should have just done mine that way, if I could have.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.