• JBL GTO804 x2 ported with 500w

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • JL 10w1v2 x1 ported with 320w

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

phunky.buddha
10+ year member

Blow stuff up!
Yes, I've read a lot of the JL hate / overrated comments and a ton of the "not the JBL 804s again" threads, but I couldn't quite find anything that compared how deep the 8" plays. I've mapped out the 804 vs the 10w1 in WinISD (yes, I know not to take the output as gospel) based on the constraints I have, and it looks like the GTO804 in a ported enclosure will play just as deep as the 10w1v2 ported, but with more SPL/watt? Is that really true?

Here are my constraints and some of my reasoning- let me know if I'm off base here.

The target vehicle is my 2008 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. The only space for subs in the cabin is underneath the rear seats where the toolboxes live- all the aftermarket pre-fab boxes on the market replace the toolboxes and are held in place by the seat bottoms. My current setup is a 10w1v2 in a down-firing 0.55 ft^3 sealed box powered by a JL e1400D amp (320w @ 4ohm, 500w @ 2ohm). Don't worry, not a JL worshiping fanboy- I've just gotten good deals on their hardware in the past, and they seem pretty solid across the board.

I have to work up a new setup because my son's toys rolled under my sub box and the cone fired against them- so the dust cap broke up and there's some cone damage. The size limitations I have are about 1.0 to 1.1 cubic feet for a full length box under my rear seats, and in a down-firing configuration, I have about 4 3/8 to 4 1/2 maximum mounting depth (top mounting) with about an inch clearance for cone and surround flex. Power, as stated before, is 320w into a 4ohm load or 500w into a 2ohm load, and from what I remember, the amp's birth sheet was listed a little high (370w I think). Either way, it's a clean healthy amp that puts out at least what it's rated.

I'd like to have SQ equal to what I had before with more SPL capability. The 10w1v2 at max volume seemed to run out of steam compared to my PG RSDs in the doors and dash. Here are the maps I came up with based on my volume limits and power limits. If the JBL 8" subs really can play as deep as the JL 10" but if I can run two in parallel and push the amp at 500w, I should be a lot louder right? I know the overall cone area will be larger, but the single driver area won't be, so will a dual 8" setup still be able to hit the low notes?

My music preferences are metal, rock, electronic/trance- so a lot of hard hitting yet fast responsive bass is what I like. I can't fit a 12" under the seats unless it's a shallow mount, and unless I go with a Pioneer, most are outside my price range (I do have kids!), map poorly, or just don't fit what my amp can crank out. I'd like to stay right around $100 or slightly more for just the speaker(s).

Please let me know if I'm smoking crack! I'll be perfectly happy with two 8" subs if I get feedback that they'll play just as deep and louder than my 10". //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

jl_vs_jbl_gain.jpg

jl_vs_jbl_spl.jpg

Thanks!

I am running two GTO804's in 1.4 cu ft tuned to 28 Hz in the trunk, rear firing, port and subs to rear, on 400 watts @ 2 ohms, and I can tell you it sounds great, hits with authority but not overpowering, and I absolutely love them. I keep wanting to change out to a 12" but honestly, I can't find a good reason to. They play everything well, from E-40 to 3 6 Mafia to Dire Straits to The Eagles and Alabama. Here is a picture of them.

jblbuild.jpg

I am running two GTO804's in 1.4 cu ft tuned to 28 Hz in the trunk, rear firing, port and subs to rear, on 400 watts @ 2 ohms, and I can tell you it sounds great, hits with authority but not overpowering, and I absolutely love them. I keep wanting to change out to a 12" but honestly, I can't find a good reason to. They play everything well, from E-40 to 3 6 Mafia to Dire Straits to The Eagles and Alabama. Here is a picture of them.
Nice box! I wish I had room for that in the truck. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Have you compared them head to head with other 10" or 12" setups?

2 votes, 1 reply- any other feedback/help?

In this car so far, I started out with the two GTO804's sealed, but wanted more, so I went to a Skar VVX-12, didn't care for that so then I went to two Boston G110's ported. This sounded good, but I don't think I had the enclosure quite right and it was a big enclosure, (over 2 cu. ft.) So I decided to try the 804's ported. It is the best sounding so far, very musical and it just sounds good and plays everything well. Sounds great on 80's music, clean and tight, but I Can pop in some E-40 or 3 6 Mafia and it will shake the mirrors. There may be other 8" subs that sound as good or better, I don't know. But as far as bang for the buck, these 804's are it.

W1s are not garbage maybe overpriced, but they sound pretty darn good. Lets not compare a 400-600 dollar w6 or w7 to a 50 dollar 8 inch jbl.

Where are you planning to get the JBL 8s?
Sonic and Amazon both have them right now? Haven't really looked for them yet.

i like jl's but w1 are garbage, w6 or w7.... my vote is jbl...
No way w6 or w7 would fit in the truck without losing the rear seat.

W1s are not garbage maybe overpriced, but they sound pretty darn good. Lets not compare a 400-600 dollar w6 or w7 to a 50 dollar 8 inch jbl.
Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

w1's are garbage, i stand by that, compared to whatever, you could compare it to a 35 dollar kenwood 3012, or to any good budget speaker and it will lose... sad thing is... it costs too much, its too easy to blow, and its built like sh¡t... and you can make anything sound good on the right set up... i just don't like w0,w1, w3's are alright nothing too impressive... thats just my opinion...

w1's are garbage, i stand by that, compared to whatever, you could compare it to a 35 dollar kenwood 3012, or to any good budget speaker and it will lose... sad thing is... it costs too much, its too easy to blow, and its built like sh¡t... and you can make anything sound good on the right set up... i just don't like w0,w1, w3's are alright nothing too impressive... thats just my opinion...
Yes, they're overpriced, but this isn't a bash JL thread- this is the "find what fits in Mike's tiny *** 1 cuft space with 4.5 inches of clearance" thread. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif If you have other shallow suggestions that fit my volume, price and power profile, please let me know. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Yes, they're overpriced, but this isn't a bash JL thread- this is the "find what fits in Mike's tiny *** 1 cuft space with 4.5 inches of clearance" thread. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif If you have other shallow suggestions that fit my volume, price and power profile, please let me know. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
sorry, lol... how much clearance under the seats, my pops didn't have no room behind seats ['36 willeys] we mounted 2 10w3s under the seats...

sorry, lol... how much clearance under the seats, my pops didn't have no room behind seats ['36 willeys] we mounted 2 10w3s under the seats...
I'm looking at 4.75" of clearance in the box, maybe 5.75" if I'm willing to double the box price (don't want to). No way I could fit a 10w3 in there.

kicker has some alright shallow mounts cheap... atleast better than w1, lol 10 or 12 will run sealed 1cu, and under 5" depth... around a 100 a sub...
How do they sound compared to the JBL 8? I always heard pretty negative feedback about the shallow Kickers here on caraudio, so I thought they weren't held in very high esteem???

I'm looking at 4.75" of clearance in the box, maybe 5.75" if I'm willing to double the box price (don't want to). No way I could fit a 10w3 in there.

How do they sound compared to the JBL 8? I always heard pretty negative feedback about the shallow Kickers here on caraudio, so I thought they weren't held in very high esteem???
kicker went downhill and sells alot of commercial stuff now... not all is bad and not all is good... i said that because youd be able to fit a larger sub back there, and i just seen 'em in the parts express catalog they sent w/ my order... there are alot of subs that you could use, i've personal never liked the sound of any shallow mount, i knew a dude that had 4 6in woofer though and that sounded awesome... my vote was for the jbls because you said x2 and more power, more is always better in my opinion lol [i got 4 12's crammed in a cobalt]

kicker went downhill and sells alot of commercial stuff now... not all is bad and not all is good... i said that because youd be able to fit a larger sub back there, and i just seen 'em in the parts express catalog they sent w/ my order... there are alot of subs that you could use, i've personal never liked the sound of any shallow mount, i knew a dude that had 4 6in woofer though and that sounded awesome... my vote was for the jbls because you said x2 and more power, more is always better in my opinion lol [i got 4 12's crammed in a cobalt]
Gotcha. The JBL is probably my best option then, plus 2x 8" have between a single 10" and single 12" of cone area, so it has to be better right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...