JBL Tweeters vs OEM Tweeters

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rajo Alam

CarAudio.com Newbie
I just bought JBL Stage 3 607C 2 Way Speaker incl Tweeters for my car. When I compare the JBL Tweeters with OEM Installed Tweeters in the car I felt confusing as the JBL Tweeters are much smaller than the OEM both in size and magnet. I don't know the detail spec of both as there is no description. What I know are dome type tweeter for JBL and conus of the OEM Tweeters seems like plastic as it is shiny. Please see the comparison picture. Should I keep using the OEM Tweeters or replace it with JBL Tweeters?
GridArt_20231119_115531026.png

Last edited:
Here are the specs:

• 6-1/2" JBL Stage3 Series 2-way Component System Car Speakers
  • Power Handling:
    • Peak: 300 watts per set / 150 watts each side
    • RMS: 100 watts per set / 50 watts each side
  • Plus One™ polypropylene woofer cones
  • Rubber speaker surround
  • 1" PEI (Polyetherimide) Dome Tweeters
  • External Crossover with 0/+3dB Tweeter level control
  • Vented basket frame design
  • Top-mount Depth: 1.90"
  • Cutout Dimensions: 5"
  • Impedance: 3 ohms
  • Frequency Response: 55 - 20,000 Hz
  • Sensitivity: 92 dB @2.83V
  • Free-Air Resonance (Fs): 75.6 Hz
  • Equivalent Compliance (Vas): 8.63 liters
  • Total Speaker Q Value (Qts): 1.31
  • Electrical Q Value (Qes): 1.48
  • Mechanical Q Value (Qms): 11.84
  • Crossover Point: 5,000 Hz
The "Appearance" is irrelevant, they're speakers, not apparel ;)

I'm not fan of the PEI drivers, too laid back for my taste. They are crossed at a very high 5000 hz, I like it when a tweeter can handle the 2000-2500 hz and up range. I also like a metal dome. That said, they most certainly will outperform whatever came stock in your car unless it's rather high-end OEM system in which case, you'd likely not being looking for improvement anyway.

If you got them on Amazon, send them back and pick up a pair of these on ebay, they are very nice, articulate, smoothly-bright compls from Pioneer.

I've just got my 3rd pair for installs this last month and ALL my patrons are happy

Last edited:
The magnet on the JBL's is made of Neodymium, which is up to 10 times more effective (magnetic energy-wise). That smaller JBL magnets is probably several times more powerful than the OEM.

Last edited:
I have no experience with your speakers, but I will agree that I haven't heard a pei dome that I thought was that great, although most of the ones I've heard were on coaxials, not as separate components. I find a silk dome to usually be pleasing, especially on budget sets. With that being said, metal domes can sound equally as good or better, and some of this is purely subjective.. I have 1" silk domes in my front a pillars and aluminum tweeters in my rear coaxials.

Here are the specs:

• 6-1/2" JBL Stage3 Series 2-way Component System Car Speakers
  • Power Handling:
    • Peak: 300 watts per set / 150 watts each side
    • RMS: 100 watts per set / 50 watts each side
  • Plus One™ polypropylene woofer cones
  • Rubber speaker surround
  • 1" PEI (Polyetherimide) Dome Tweeters
  • External Crossover with 0/+3dB Tweeter level control
  • Vented basket frame design
  • Top-mount Depth: 1.90"
  • Cutout Dimensions: 5"
  • Impedance: 3 ohms
  • Frequency Response: 55 - 20,000 Hz
  • Sensitivity: 92 dB @2.83V
  • Free-Air Resonance (Fs): 75.6 Hz
  • Equivalent Compliance (Vas): 8.63 liters
  • Total Speaker Q Value (Qts): 1.31
  • Electrical Q Value (Qes): 1.48
  • Mechanical Q Value (Qms): 11.84
  • Crossover Point: 5,000 Hz
The "Appearance" is irrelevant, they're speakers, not apparel ;)

I'm not fan of the PEI drivers, too laid back for my taste. They are crossed at a very high 5000 hz, I like it when a tweeter can handle the 2000-2500 hz and up range. I also like a metal dome. That said, they most certainly will outperform whatever came stock in your car unless it's rather high-end OEM system in which case, you'd likely not being looking for improvement anyway.

If you got them on Amazon, send them back and pick up a pair of these on ebay, they are very nice, articulate, smoothly-bright compls from Pioneer.

I've just got my 3rd pair for installs this last month and ALL my patrons are happy
Thanks for your response and suggestion. But I think I just keep it coz it cannot be returned and....Pioneer TS-Z65C is over my budget LOL.

Last edited:
Woow, size doesn't matter. Love your explanation.
Always like to put opportunity out there. Now that I have seen the pictures, it appears that you are making a lateral move, from one PEI dome to another. I can't honestly say that there will be a significant difference. The JBLs are probably better but it's marginal as to how much. Additionally, the OEM speakers are often very efficient at the cost of power handling ability and aftermarket speakers are often just the opposite, not as efficient but can handle much more power. When you replace them using the stock OEM system internal amplification, it often comes out with no real gain. Adding an aftermarket line level converter and an aftermarket amplifier will usually make a real difference and utilize the JBL speakers better. Something like this (all dependant on the stock system you're starting with)

$18.99

Amazon product ASIN B09MTHDJ7D
$84.99

Amazon product ASIN B09PCZBZW5

Last edited:
I have no experience with your speakers, but I will agree that I haven't heard a pei dome that I thought was that great, although most of the ones I've heard were on coaxials, not as separate components. I find a silk dome to usually be pleasing, especially on budget sets. With that being said, metal domes can sound equally as good or better, and some of this is purely subjective.. I have 1" silk domes in my front a pillars and aluminum tweeters in my rear coaxials.
Thanks
Always like to put opportunity out there. Now that I have seen the pictures, it appears that you are making a lateral move, from one PEI dome to another. I can't honestly say that there will be a significant difference. The JBLs are probably better but it's marginal as to how much. Additionally, the OEM speakers are often very efficient at the cost of power handling ability and aftermarket speakers are often just the opposite, not as efficient but can handle much more power. When you replace them using the stock OEM system internal amplification, it often comes out with no real gain. Adding an aftermarket line level converter and an aftermarket amplifier will usually make a real difference and utilize the JBL speakers better. Something like this (all dependant on the stock system you're starting with)

$18.99

Amazon product ASIN B09MTHDJ7D
$84.99

Amazon product ASIN B09PCZBZW5
I forgot to mention that I already changed OEM HU with an android one. It's much better than OEM HU.

I agree with what Doxquzme said in the previous post.

I have not heard those jbls, but I do think they'll at least be an improvement. JBL isn't known for making bad products. They make everything from basic to their $2k+ Arena line.

As far as aftermarket head unit, almost all of the built in amplifiers are 22 x 4 RMS (they also are all usually 50 x 4 max power, which you should always ignore max power and go by RMS ratings). Whether this is enough power for you or not just depends on your personal listening volume preference.

Try them and find out!

I agree with what Doxquzme said in the previous post.

I have not heard those jbls, but I do think they'll at least be an improvement. JBL isn't known for making bad products. They make everything from basic to their $2k+ Arena line.

As far as aftermarket head unit, almost all of the built in amplifiers are 22 x 4 RMS (they also are all usually 50 x 4 max power, which you should always ignore max power and go by RMS ratings). Whether this is enough power for you or not just depends on your personal listening volume preference.

Try them and find out!
Sure I will try bro...many thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...