Just got my Pioneer Rev 6.5" Coaxials!

xluben
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I just got my Pioneer Rev's from Fedex today, and got them installed. I had to cut the stock Honda Accord baffle to allow for more mounting depth, but it ended up working well as a 1/2" or so, spacer. Here's a link if you are not familiar with the Rev's:

http://www.millionbuy.com/piotsd161r.html

I'm powering them with this:

http://www.millionbuy.com/prfap400.html

and these are the speakers I used to have in my doors:

http://www.millionbuy.com/inf6012si.html

The amp does 65W x 2 @ 4 ohms. I didn't have time to set the gains with a multimeter yet, but I'll do it this weekend. Right now the gain is about 1/3 of the way up. When one of my Infinity's went out after only a few months of use //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I decided to get these mostly on recommendations here. I had a quick audition of them running full range in the wall at Circuit City and I liked them. I also figured going from the bottom of one company's line up to the top of another company's should sound a bit better. They ended up only costing about $15 more than the Infinity's (I bought both from millionbuy).

When I got these in and turned them up I was really blown away. They sound great! They get REALLY loud and are clear with no distortion. The highs are WAY less harsh than the Inifity's (that's mostly what I didn't like about them, I always had them EQ'ed down). With all my EQ settings on flat and the sub really pumping these things totally kept up (rest of my setup is in my sig). Before the subs would really overpower everything, but now it actually balances out (overall = way louder).

Hope that helps everyone! I have some angled speaker rings (1/8" thick to 3/4" thick) that I'm going to try to aim these more upwards and hopefully raise the soundstage, but right now I'm really happy with them, and I think they're a safe bet for anyone looking for good coaxials under $100/pair //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

pioneers been coming out with some decent speakers these last few years. not getting the recognition they deserve on some of it. i think all those years of only flea market quality subs and speakers is hard to get over.

You should be happy with the amp, too. I like my Ap1000 even though it's a little overkill for my comps... but hey slim chance of clipping. Which tone did you use to set your gains because I used a 1kHz tone and it didn't work really well -- too low a voltage readout on the dmm.

Not a bad choice at all. I had the first REV 6.5" (if this is a new model, the grille looks different but it may be the rest is the same), surprising midbass and the clarity was real good too but it didn't get quite as loud as the Cadence CWM-6 components I have right now; but its not totally fair since the tweeter with the CWMs is mounted at the top of the door panel and with the REVs it wasn't and the CWMs are also getting ~25wrms more than I gave the Pioneers.

+1 on the Pioneer speakers not getting the recognition they deserve

i got some of those blue cone pioneers in my friends car....once i slapped some clay on that baffle, whoooweee those things sound almost like subs.

You mentions pioneer not getting the recegnition. That sure seems to be true. Everbody knows about their head units but speakers humm.... Looks like the rev's might put them back on the speaker map.

well, i got the gains set correctly and these things are awesome! they sound so good with rock, and are loud enough that my subs actually blend in with them quite well. i can't wait to get the angled speaker rings installed to raise the soundstage, but they're sounding great as it is!

i have had a few set of the rev coaxials. they are one of the best coaxials out. they are hardy as can be and get loud and sound good with minimal amounts of power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

xluben

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
xluben
Minneapolis, MN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date