Kenwood KAC-9104D Amp Getting Really Hot Really Fast

Participant count
  • Participant list

#CW!!ZERO
10+ year member

Ok so a little background on my system, I had just one Alpine Type R sub powered by this amp for the longest time, I had the sub wired to 4 ohms and it recieved 500 rms. Well for my birthday my mom got me another sub for my truck. They are both dual 2 ohm subs and I have it wired so that the output is 2 ohms now, so that is 450rms per woofer. I used this website Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer WiringWizard

It never used to get hot when I had just the one woofer and yesterday for the first time it cut out on me and I was startled. When I felt the amp it was scorching hot. It gets sufficient air and I have 6 guage welding cable for power and ground (about to switch over to 4 guage tonight). Does anyone know what is going on?

The 9104 and the 8104 are both rated for 2ohms, but neither will run 2 ohms continuously without going into thermal protect. Kenwood makes good HUs, but their amps are junk.

Dang I was hoping that wasnt the reason, what would you guys recommend for a amp that will put out 1000 rms at 2 ohms that I can split between my type r woofers. A best for your money answer would be nice also.

Thanks guys

*EDIT*

Just looked at a Alpine MRP-M1000, puts out 1000rms at 2 ohms. Is there anything better for lesss money?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.