last ? about sealed / ported

azphat12
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Tulsa, OK
Ok, about to pull the trigger on buying my new subs and box design..

Here are my 2 options...as my trunk is pretty cramped for space.

2008 Civic coupe

2 12's in a sealed box

or

2 10's in a ported box

For daily driver. 1200 watts.

Can fire into the cab or at the trunk

Trunk will be sound deadened if that makes a difference.

I know I will not be doing hair tricks...but want something that will hit hard.

Need to know pretty soon here, as I am about to order the subs.

Never had 10's before so am skeptical, but then again havnt had a sealed box in forever, lol.

Just need some advice before I pull the trigger and buy the stuff.

How much space are you willing to give up? Knowing that can help point you to a box or a woofer. Depending on your space, a single 10 or 12 in the correct box may be way more than you need. As I am learning it is way more about the correct box in the correct size for you application.

Some may disagree, but I have had 12in sealed setups that hit very hard in trunk applications. My friend had 2 10's in a optimal ported setup and it was loud and sounded good but didn't hit as hard as my setup. Different subs different setups so hard to compare. But I had a large sealed box firing to the rear and sounded great. Also had a two 15's in a 6cu sealed setup in the trunk that was very impressive.

Dont let people scare you away from sealed, they can get loud if the setup and equipment is right.

Ive had a sealed before...it has just been FOREVER so kinda forgot what they sounded like. I know my old sealed box was pretty good for all types of music. Very tight bass.

My ported box I built was 3.5cu @ 32 hz and just slammed...very boomy and sounded OK on rock/metal etc.

I have these measurements max...

H x 15

W x 33

Depth is my variable....but I can do a MAX of 18". I would prefer less to make it flush with the trunk opening.

Working with Ram_Designs and him shooting back box's it looks like 12's sealed or 10's ported would be the way to go with my space requirements.

I was looking at the SA 10's or 12's honestly. From what I read about them and the description it says they do well in any application sealed or ported.

I can put down about $500 on new subs, so I am not ruling out DC Audio or FI or anything like that. I just hear the most about Sundown

Mainly I like the bass where you sit there and either its too loud and you want to get out, or it hurts your chest and you get out, lol.

Call me crazy...I like the self torture.

I am also not ruling out 1 15 or 1 18 or 3 10's or whatever. I just have to stay within that box space and $500. And try to maximize 1200 watts @ 1ohm.

Got about 2 weeks before my tax check is here (yay approved already!). So want to make sure I get this right, and who better to ask then all of you!

Another option that I was considering...is keeping my 2 JL Audio 12w3's and adding a 3rd 12. I have 2 2ohms now...so a 3rd would put me at 1.34 ohms or something?

I can "fit" alot in my trunk. I am trying to save some room if I ever need my trunk.

If I do go with an 18" depth on the box...I would have about a foot to the back trunk.

Be enough to put some groceries or backpacks in when I do need it.

I also want to be able to take the box out "in a pinch" if I blow a tire or something.

Figure with 10's ported or 12's sealed I could get it less then 18" deep and that would be pretty easy to take out.

And give me some room for stuff in my trunk. Just not sure which way to go. I listen to mostly bass music like DJ magic mike and stuff, lol.

3.531cu ft internal

38Hz tuning

¾: MDF

32” wide x 14” tall x 17.5” deep

Port = 12.5” tall x 3.5” wide

Length will be an L on either side : 12.5” deep and then 3.75” behind each sub

have ram look that over... it fits and it is ported...and ALOT of subs will work in that...and get loud doing it

Ok I am going to try both. I have a 2.5cuft sealed box for 2 12's that I will hook up when my power wire from Knu gets here.

In that time I will build the 10" ported box Ram_Designs made for me.

Will hook both up and see which I like better, lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.