Let's talk electrical upgrades...2 SA-12s

Are you serious? a battery does not produce power it is simply a storage device for electrical energy. Having said that i will no longer argue with you on this subject..

adding a battery will only make your alternator charge harder and for longer cycles. this causes premature failure. you will ALWAYS have voltage drop UNLESS your alternator can PROVIDE THE ENTIRE LOAD WITHOUT ENOUGH RIPPLE TO AFFECT DELIVERY IN WHICH YOU SHOULD USE A CAPACITOR.. any engineer here will agree..

you get a drop in voltage from the alternators output being exceeded or it cannot properly respond to the inrush current..

if you have enough battery in which it becomes your power supply and your alternator becomes in a sense a charger the alternator will need to keep a sufficient amount of charge on the batteries to preform properly and even then your ESR will be so low that your going to get SAG on nearly every inrush..

For a 150-200$ the most a car/truck alternator can be rewound upto is 200 amps or 250 but thats pushing the cooling design.
Most stock alternators are 3 phase alternators meaning they will do 25-30% amperage at idle.

GM casing are the only alternators available to have up to 250 amps on a stock alt design.

As far as adding a second battery it will help towards keeping voltage floating at 12.3-12.8v.

If for any reason it drops below that then the user is abusing the electrical with over clipped amps or too powerful of an amp.

The second battery will give enough burst for a low note or a long bass note.

You are not a mechanic/fabricator.

You are an electrical engineer so stick to it instead of trying to one up anybody.

So mister engineer, in the case of a honda only being able to fit only 1 alternator under the hood. Should we insist of them to pay 150-200$ to rewound the stock alt to some crazy amount of amperage or should we recommend more batteries?

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk
actually alternator are AC generators that use diodes to convert it to DC that's why they are called alternators.. alternators have 3 basic elements in output.. magnetic satration. current potential through the conductors and how much current the diodes can handle(the abilitly for it to stop the opposite phase from passing back).

any more questions?

btw i left the typical circuit to convert AC to DC...

https://us.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=iry&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003&type=drg_bimmed_15_30_ag1974&param1=1&param2=cd%3D2XzuyEtN2Y1L1Qzu0DtD0D0Fzy0AtC0B0DtAzyyCyByCzy0DtN0D0Tzu0StCtBzyzztN1L2XzutAtFtCtBtFtCtFtCtN1L1Czu1BtAtN1L1G1B1V1N2Y1L1Qzu2StD0AtAyEtD0E0B0FtGtA0B0DyCtG0DtBzzyBtGyBzzzzyBtGyE0A0BtAtCtB0CzyyEyDzzyE2QtN1M1F1B2Z1V1N2Y1L1Qzu2SyCtB0B0CtCyCtA0AtGzztAyB0AtGyE0AtC0BtGzytDyE0CtGyBzy0Azz0BtB0C0CyCyCyDyB2QtN0A0LzuyE%26cr%3D1129994920%26a%3Ddrg_bimmed_15_30%26f%3D4%26cat%3Dweb%26sid%3Daa5585586d0cc232ebd7cd7595a6bb0a%26sesid%3Db881ac37242fce7f37012256b0b1ed7a%26abid%3D137%26abg%3D1974%26ip%3D74.80.23.110%26b%3DChrome%26bv%3D47.0.2526.49%26os%3DWindows%2B7%26pa%3Ddregol&p=AC+recification+circuit

If I rewound my stock alt from 100 to 200 amps I would have had a fireball in the hood within a few hours... You may be an EE, but you don't understand basic physics apparently.
OP, I would advise you monitoring your voltage since a 130 amp alt is going to be on the smaller side for 2k+ RMS. I would highly advise investing in an HO alt sooner than later, but you should be fine with your current plan for the time being.
OK im be nice.. the alternator has a cooling fan on it... its mounted directly to the pully along with the amature.. yes there is a limit in how much you can go but i've yet to see a properly done alt catch fire for that matter ANY alternator..

OK im be nice.. the alternator has a cooling fan on it... its mounted directly to the pully along with the amature.. yes there is a limit in how much you can go but i've yet to see a properly done alt catch fire for that matter ANY alternator..
Holy hell, what a late reply and please don't be nice since you bothered me with a 2 month late reply.

Fireball may have been an exaggeration. What will happen, and you can't deny this, is greatly reduce the life of it because it's operating much warmer then its designed to. Trust me, just a plain ole fan isn't doing much for cooling, this is coming from my experience with electronics. A heatsink is another story though. Bottom line, there's a reason why companies that simply rewind alternators have bad reviews. You can trust your $150 rewound 200 amp 3 Phase alternator, but I'm not.

As for your other quote, that I can't quite get too work right since I'm on my phone, amps can die from a number of reasons heat not being the main cause. From my understanding vibration is the main killer of most electronics.

Holy hell, what a late reply and please don't be nice since you bothered me with a 2 month late reply.
Fireball may have been an exaggeration. What will happen, and you can't deny this, is greatly reduce the life of it because it's operating much warmer then its designed to. Trust me, just a plain ole fan isn't doing much for cooling, this is coming from my experience with electronics. A heatsink is another story though. Bottom line, there's a reason why companies that simply rewind alternators have bad reviews. You can trust your $150 rewound 200 amp 3 Phase alternator, but I'm not.

As for your other quote, that I can't quite get too work right since I'm on my phone, amps can die from a number of reasons heat not being the main cause. From my understanding vibration is the main killer of most electronics.
I've had several alts rewound and they worked fine. One in particular was originally a 110 and i had it rewound to a 160. The case/housing was big enough and for 3 years i never had one problem.

its not the fact that the rewinding is bad its the parts and the person who does it. and high-output alts aren't much more than a good battery anyways!

Bumping a 3 month old thread to tell me that what a guy who repairs amps for a living is wrong. again, carry on, I'm sure you know more than he does.
its not hard to troubleshoot an amp and repair it honestly. if you know what your looking for its pretty simple in most cases.. I've done it myself but i've been doing electrical and messing with electronics for over 15 years..

its not hard to troubleshoot an amp and repair it honestly. if you know what your looking for its pretty simple in most cases.. I've done it myself but i've been doing electrical and messing with electronics for over 15 years..
Your an idiot, stop responding. A power source and power storage supply is the same thing. How else does any battery operated device work? OFF ITS POWER SOURCE, it dosnt have to be infinite to be a source. As long as the device isnt pulling more amperage for longer then that SOURCE(or battery) is rated for its fine. Because no one jams bass tones all day meaning it will only need to pull power intermittently leaving plenty of time for it alternator to juice it back up. Now you do need to insure that the bank is keep a decent voltage, but me dropping to 12.9V on 2Krms isnt going to kill my alt.

Theory vs real world buddy, you dont have the experience. This information has been said THOUSANDS of times by people who have done this since the 90s. Car audio is its own world, i can pull apart and repair an ultrasound machine no problem but i still need this forum to get my system strait. Just cause you know one small field of electronics dosnt mean you know squat about car charging systems.

Papermaker, you're wasting your time man. Most of the members of this forum derive their 'knowledge' from other what other members have said, meaning misconceptions are propagated indefinitely. It's like trying to swim upstream, you can fight all you want but eventually you'll just give in and stop trying to help...

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Your an idiot, stop responding. A power source and power storage supply is the same thing.
You've got no room to call someone an idiot with a statement like that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Papermaker, you're wasting your time man. Most of the members of this forum derive their 'knowledge' from other what other members have said, meaning misconceptions are propagated indefinitely. It's like trying to swim upstream, you can fight all you want but eventually you'll just give in and stop trying to help... 

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

You've got no room to call someone an idiot with a statement like that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
How so? Definition of a power source

a device that provides power to electric machines, generators, etc. Contemporary definitions for power supply Expand. noun. a source of electricity for a device, which converts, regulates, and transmits the external power for the device

Can you please tell me how a battery does not fit into this definition?

Batteries don't make power, they store it.

To be completely fair, alternators don't "make power" either in the literal sense. They convert kinetic energy into electrical energy.

I disagree that HO alts aren't much better than a good battery. If your alternator can't keep up reasonably with your current demand, your batteries won't be able to recharge. You'll just keep draining them down. Adding batteries doesn't just fix things

batteries help, no shit

alternators help, no shit

have more of one than the other and you'll run into consequences. it's a balanced system. are we done now that its been made simple?

batteries help, no shit

have more of one than the other and you'll run into consequences. it's a balanced system. are we done now that its been made simple?
NO ITS RED! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rage.gif.0ad8a6e5565b5fddce406566fdd05149.gif

batteries help, no shit

How is having more alternators than batteries bad?

Also, people run more batteries than alternators all the time.... could word it differently.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.