lights blinking with new alt.

Goldenknob
10+ year member

Bored In Antlers
my headlights blink or flash slightly with no music on when I'm idleing in gear... is this because of my idle being to low? if so is there a way to make the alt kick in at a lower rpm... this is a new higher /o alt for my vehicle and it didn't do this at first but after a month of use it has started...pretty much ever since I got my new carburator installed. any ideas exactly what the problem cold be?

if I rev the engine a little it goes away.. but it is to high a rpm to be at idle for my taste..

my headlights blink or flash slightly with no music on when I'm idleing in gear... is this because of my idle being to low? if so is there a way to make the alt kick in at a lower rpm... this is a new higher /o alt for my vehicle and it didn't do this at first but after a month of use it has started...pretty much ever since I got my new carburator installed. any ideas exactly what the problem cold be?
if I rev the engine a little it goes away.. but it is to high a rpm to be at idle for my taste..
2 things I would check first. 1 would be. is the idle set right on the carb(so that it isnt idling low ). . .2 make sure all the wires for the new alt have good connections and are all still tight . //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

also did you upgrade your wiring or is it still stock?

ya I have upgraded the wireing to 4 guage I upgraded the Big 3. it could be the battery.. I do plan on getting a yellow top before to long...

I have it set up to when I turn on my amps that my cap comes on. it has a digital read out and reads that it's getting 16volts.... isn't that a little high?

ya I have upgraded the wireing to 4 guage I upgraded the Big 3. it could be the battery.. I do plan on getting a yellow top before to long...
I have it set up to when I turn on my amps that my cap comes on. it has a digital read out and reads that it's getting 16volts.... isn't that a little high?

yes. what does your car idle at? kick up the idle a little bit //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

16volts? Wow //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif. That reading is high. Unless you have an external adjustable regulator your reading should be between 13v - 14v on a normal day. I'd re-check your wiring and battery //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ya the 16 volts worry me.. I'm gonna wip out my volt-meter today and check it to see if the cap is reading wrong... it should be good though..cap is made by monster cable.

i asked my friend and he said to check your voltage at battery with a meter

it shouldnt be more then 14.4-14.6 car running

as far as the flickering do a check on all connections and if it a old truck check all the factory

grounds in the truck clean them up and coat them(grounds under dash as an example)

also he said to do a load test on the altenator at idle and then at 3000 rpm

check with a vat 45 (probably gotta go to a mechanic)

the rest was too much for me to type so good luck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.