Lookin For A New HU [ NOT Sony ]

omnipseudo
10+ year member

.4Wheelin Sound Addict
Hey everyone, I currently have the Sony CDX-F7005X HU and Im looking for a new one...

Mainly cuz Ive heard that Sony isnt a very good brand for HUs, and my only 2 HUs have been Sony, so I have nothing to compare it to...

For my new HU

I need...

Sub pre-outs @ at least 2 volts

Aux pre-outs/mode

wav, mp3, CD-R/(w) playback

At least ~22 rms for the 4 amps to the speakers

High pass, low pass tuners

A removeable faceplate / other theft detering system

It to be under $250

CD Text enabled

DIN : 1 to 1 and 3/4s

Something like sonys DSO feature to raise the trebble

Id like...

An equalizer like Sonys built in one (7 band)

XM Ready Feature

Some type of anti-skip technology if applicable (I drive a Wrangler and like my CDs playin while off-roadin)

Something thatll last in semi-harsh conditons. It needs to be very durable, as I drive with the top down alot, and its exposed to dust alot.

It to be under $350

Any suggestions, links, PMs, emails or whatever will be greatly appriciated! My system specs can be found in my sig. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks in advance!

I've always had good luck with Alpine MP3 units...

I have a 7894 now, about 2 years old, still is solid. I'd bet the newer ones are just as good.

I have had many kenwoods and I love only a few of them. But to get the nice ones they are big dollars. So are most other good units lol. But I have a excelon x711 and I love the thing does everything I want but play mp3 but the hu is about 3-4 yrs old and about 5 months ago I just wanted a mp3 player and picked up a decent 1 for around 200 and I hate it. It is so plain jane its fine for factory use with no subs but when u want more out of it, theres nothing to it. The excelon has so many eq features and other things on it. But I have had eclipse and alpines and I get the same feeling from them as well that u pay alot but no features really to get your sound with out adding on extra items like a eq etc. I am selling my excelon deck due to the fact of new first child born on tuesday and I am out of the car stereo hobby now. if your interested hit me up I let it go cheap and I know that you would love it as well. But stay away from sony hu's there like that mp-522 kenwood I just got nothing good to say about them.

I would look at Eclipse or Alpine, maybe Pioneer. Sony makes horrible products, I've had a couple Sony decks, one being the top of the line sony hu before the xplod line came out that they ran in all their comp vehicles, and they broke... Along with most every other Sony product I've ever owned (a lot). Kenwood Excelons have nice features, but I've had problems with them, one just stopped putting out sound, and on the other, the face stopped flipping over and it would not turn on. I run a Nakamichi HU as well, but it lacks MP3 playback, and has no built in crossovers, and really has no audio adjustments other than bass, mid, treble, although the Nakamichi doesn't need a bunch of adjustments to produce awesome sound.

I love my Nakamichi, great sound (20-bit DAC), great design, it looks stock in my dash, so almost nobody would want to steal it, 2 inputs, 3 outputs, with simple easy to use controls. I think they got the right idea, although most seem to want something flashier.

I agree the nakamichi are very nice units that no one would want to steel looking into your car but thats 1 thing i didnt like they look so plain, but it worth it from the sound quality you get..

So it looks like ill be getting a 9833 or 9835 - 2 of my friends have alpines, and they've always worked nicley. Thanks for the replies! On a side note...Does anyone know how prone to skipping alpines are? My sonys skipped alot, over speed bumps, gravel, etc...Alpine any different, or is this something that should be expected?

Search around on eBay for a Sony cdx-c910 or cdx-c90. I kow, you don't want Sony, but these were awesome HU's back in the day, and still are better than most that are on the market now.

If you want something new, get a good Alpine or the Clarion DRZ9255, it doesn't do XM, but you can use it for Sirius with the optional tuner.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.