Looking for a good Double Din?

You guys keep focusing on how many features. Features don't get you the best sound. I don't see a cheap Kenwood DDX8019 anywhere. I would never get that one over the W505. I was at this local comp a few weeks ago and almost everyone was running Alpines. I do remember a guy with a Kenwood double din. He put up the worst SPL numbers of the day. He got spanked by every 2V Alpine out there. It might have been his setup. I'm not saying Kenwood *****. I like Kenwood over Pioneer. I've ran Kenwood and the Excelon. I still like Alpine better. By the the way, I got first place in that comp for the SPL Amatuer Class. You still can't go wrong with the Kenwood.

good luck, i was looking for the same thing you were their are not many unit's out their that match what you are looking for. i would suggest atleast dropping the preout voltage and using a line driver you have a much better chance of finding something then.

if having 5 volt preouts is a priority on you list id say eclipse is the way to go. ive owned pioneer avic n1, and now avn 5435 and with the same amps, speakers it really its a world of difference in sound between the two units. the eclipse blows the pioneer out of the water.

i like the avic's navigation a little better but overall the eclipse wins. was much easier to bypass as well. avic involves soldering internally to bypass if you have updated software.

You guys keep focusing on how many features. Features don't get you the best sound. I don't see a cheap Kenwood DDX8019 anywhere. I would never get that one over the W505. I was at this local comp a few weeks ago and almost everyone was running Alpines. I do remember a guy with a Kenwood double din. He put up the worst SPL numbers of the day. He got spanked by every 2V Alpine out there. It might have been his setup. I'm not saying Kenwood *****. I like Kenwood over Pioneer. I've ran Kenwood and the Excelon. I still like Alpine better. By the the way, I got first place in that comp for the SPL Amatuer Class. You still can't go wrong with the Kenwood.
Bass911, the reason I think we ( or at least I) have been focusing on features is because thats what the OP stated his criteria were.

It was never stated, that SPL (or SQ) was a particular goal, only a "good double din" was required.

I never said the DDX8019 was "cheap", only that you should be able to get one for around $750. I recommended the JVC products if price was a concern. The 505 is about 20% more money than the Excelon, and its mainly for the questionably worthwhile Blackbird docking capabilities.

Maven, you're right. That's why I said that he couldn't go wrong with Kenwood. I was just trying to open his mind little to other options. SRim23 is right also right about Eclispe.

I am just looking for something that will give me the same power I have in my current 5v HU and be able to play my 80gb Ipod Video direct, be able to control the ipod through the unit and not have to use the ipod.
Kenwood Excelon ddx-812 has 5 v preouts. Very ew to the market so availibility is in short demand. Kenwood also has the dnx-8120 that has built in Nav. I also like that they paired with Parrot for built in bluetooth. Prices are 800-900 and 1100-1200 respectively.

I am ery interested in the 812 but by the time I buy the kit and tax etc it will be a grand out the door.

clarion MAX685BT. dont think it has hit the market yet but i want one!!!
My local shop installed the max685BT in their shop car to show off. It is nice and is user friendly. They hadnt recieved any others as of last week. The price seems to be a little less then the kenwood excelon but the excelon has 5 v pre outs vs Clarions 2v.

The W205 and W505 both have only 2v outs, and unless Ive gone retarded Alpine rates their decks at 14.4volts. Anonymous: the Kenwood DDX8019 was a 2007 Excelon unit, and I think your best bet. Kenwood rates it at 5.0v outs and they use 12.8v I believe, not the 14.4v of Alpine. It does everything you want and you could proly pick one up for $750 without even trying. The JVC stuff is nice for the lower price point too.(710's can be had for $400 routinely, even local retail stores in my area dont exceed $425 usually)
Get the DDX-812 with built in Parrot BT. My shop in my area priced it at $799. It is a very very nice HU.

I am thinking bout the Pioneer AVH-6000, the JVC 810, or the kenwood 712 or 812. i have not looked into any Eclipse yet but the Alpine only has 2v preouts. I was also thinking bout the Clarion just because of its Ipod interface but once again 2v preouts. I guess if I have to I will go with 2v preouts but they just do not have the balls i want, but I could always turn up my gains.

I wanted to get the Alpine for SQ. I could live with the 2 v from them! But I cant live with their horrible BT technology. Everyone says its one of the worst on the market. Once you have BT you never wnt to be without. So BT is very important to me. So I am goign to get the 812 and I am looking at CCD rear view cameras right now!

The DDX8019 has LOTS of navigation issues. If you plan to use it with an iPod (especially video) or a phone with bluetooth, then stay away from this unit. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

I made a post but my internet died and it went bye bye.

Long story short...

The upper Kenwood double-dins are by far the best. The only thing that bogs them down is their ugly interface.

I have used the JVC AVX800, and I think it's a pretty good unit. The interface is a littler slower, song to song switching is a little laggy, but overall a nice looking unit. Maybe they made some improvements in the 810. It pushes nowhere near 5v preamp, I've tested it. There is an option within the unit, well atleast in the 800, that allows you to use an external amp. Makes the sound quality much better. If you have your speakers amped, it'll probably push closer to 5v.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.