Looking for a small subwoofer that would work well with Sony's subwoofer direct connection from a DSX-GS80

Bruce2W

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am replacing the factory stereo in a Porsche 968 Cabriolet with a Sony DSX-GS80. I was initially thinking I would add a small powered subwoofer but am interested to try using the subwoofer direct connection offered by the head unit. I am not able to find much documentation on subwoofer direct connection beyond it will handle a 2 ohm sub on a single or dual channel producing a peak of 88 watts in testing.

My goal is adding base inside this small car not bumping the neighborhood.

The car currently has a pair of 4x6 plate speakers in the back with 5 1/4 component speakers in the doors. These likely will be replaced with Infinity Kappa or similar.

I am looking for a small boxed 6.5" to 8" subwoofer.

Something similar in size to the Alpine PWE-S8 would be perfect.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I am replacing the factory stereo in a Porsche 968 Cabriolet with a Sony DSX-GS80. I was initially thinking I would add a small powered subwoofer but am interested to try using the subwoofer direct connection offered by the head unit. I am not able to find much documentation on subwoofer direct connection beyond it will handle a 2 ohm sub on a single or dual channel producing a peak of 88 watts in testing.

The car currently has a pair of 4x6 plate speakers in the back with 5 1/4 component speakers in the doors. These likely will be replaced with Infinity Kappa or similar.

The Bazooka tubes do a pretty nice job actually and are reasonable to boot. The Focal unit is expensive but it impresses for sure. Focal Integration IBus 20, on sale on Amazon for less than I’ve ever seen them.

Amazon product ASIN B0051EKDHK

Just a thought.

Nowhere in the owner's manual does it say anything about 88w for power ratings. I don't think that's true, and I've never heard of any head unit trying to market itself as having subwoofer power.
It does have this info-
Screenshot_20230814-232437.png

It looks like you are to connect each coil to a rear channel. That will give you 45w per coil.

Last edited:
It does have this info-
It looks like you are to connect each coil to a rear channel. That will give you 45w per coil.
Well, I'll give you full credit, but them half credit. So that's only if its a DVC, and 88w is still nothing. Where do we they draw the line for marketing it as subwoofer power, 70w, 32w, we have 6w of sub thumping power. It's disingenuous to say the least. It's like saying we have a $2.99 all you can eat buffet, but all we serve are rice cakes.

Nowhere in the owner's manual does it say anything about 88w for power ratings. I don't think that's true, and I've never heard of any head unit trying to market itself as having subwoofer power.

88 watts is from this test

There is very little information on Sony's direct / easy subwoofer connection.

I would not be considering this for a system that I wanted to be heard outside of the vehicle but for purely inside the vehicle listening it could be a good option. If not I will add an external amplifier.

It's like saying we have a $2.99 all you can eat buffet, but all we serve are rice cakes.
LOL! Good one. My second car was an '86 Celebrity that had the AC Delco radio in it. Tape, AM, FM, well you know, the bells and whistles of that time. It had shelf mounted 6x9s with an aperiodic baffle underneath it. It sounded so damn good that friends thought I had a system. I do not think that radio put out anything above 20w per channel, and yet it seened like more. I do not doubt those 22-45w RMS from the Sony would sound good with the right sub.

88 watts is from this test

There is very little information on Sony's direct / easy subwoofer connection.

I would not be considering this for a system that I wanted to be heard outside of the vehicle but for purely inside the vehicle listening it could be a good option. If not I will add an external amplifier.

36% efficient. For that 88w it pulled was it 18 amps? Any amplifier is going to make 2 - 2 1/2 times that power for what that draws. Go see what your head unit is fused at. I'll bet you need to run a new power wire with a new fuse to power that inefficient nonsense.

45W per channel is good for door speakers. Not sure what the setup is, but some head units can do 50w or so RMS. That makes sense if you have door and rear speakers in that range. I just really hope you aren't planning on trying to run a sub like that. Just because he made it physically move doesn't mean it will make it do anything worth while. You max that out, and it will do the same thing that a 150w amp will do at full volume. You just won't get enough voltage from that.
It really is like turning off your AC and trying to cool your house down with your refrigerator.

If it was about having no space, there is this spaceship looking thing:

Something like this maybe...just grab a suitable box

Last edited:
Something like this maybe...just grab a suitable box
I've actually used both those GRS and Dayton drivers, the GRS SW12" and they do a pretty damn good job considering the price! I think that the GRS are actually better than the Dayton in this comparison.

LOL! Good one. My second car was an '86 Celebrity that had the AC Delco radio in it. Tape, AM, FM, well you know, the bells and whistles of that time. It had shelf mounted 6x9s with an aperiodic baffle underneath it. It sounded so damn good that friends thought I had a system. I do not think that radio put out anything above 20w per channel, and yet it seened like more. I do not doubt those 22-45w RMS from the Sony would sound good with the right sub.
Yeah, but back then 120mph was REALLY fast. I'll bet if you heard that now, after what we have now, you would laugh at it.

that's cute... you're sweet. I'm not letting hipster millennial douchenozzles with "manbuns" (it's a bun, and if they weren't so pathetically insecure, they wouldn't need to try to name it by gender), cry and tell me I'm not allowed to say that I like tig ol bitties.
Well, it's an algorithm. No one is there manning the turrets so one sidesteps the sniper via colloquialisms. It's nothing new, we've been doing it all our lives. Ever used euphemisms to spare someone's feelings?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...