Looking for some speaker advice MK5 GTI

Participant count
  • Participant list

andar
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some help choosing speakers for my 2009 GTI. It comes from the factory with 3-way components in the front doors and 2-ways in the rear. I know the hip-firing front woofer location blows, but I'm not ready to cut up the door panels...yet.

I don't have much experience with quality parts, but I'm hoping to gain some now. I've already got a few things purchased and a few ideas, but I really need input on rear speakers. Here's a rough idea of what I was thinking so far,

Already own

4Ch Amp: JL 300/4 Slash v1

Mono Amp: JL 500/1 Slash v1

Sub: Sundown SA8v2

Idea

Front: Hertz HSK 163L Components - Pretty much decided unless someone can sell me on why not.

Rear: Sundown 6.5CSv2 Components - Not very decided.

I know the Hertz's will be under powered by the 300/4, but I plan to upgrade the amp later on. The SA8v2 will see 0.8cuft tuned to about 33Hz. I was considering the sundown components for the rear because I've read some good things about their previous gen's low-end performance.

I'm aiming for a stealthy OEM look with high quality sound.

Anyone have any good suggestions for rears? or any other suggestions/comments?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys,
I'm looking for some help choosing speakers for my 2009 GTI. It comes from the factory with 3-way components in the front doors and 2-ways in the rear. I know the hip-firing front woofer location blows, but I'm not ready to cut up the door panels...yet.

I don't have much experience with quality parts, but I'm hoping to gain some now. I've already got a few things purchased and a few ideas, but I really need input on rear speakers. Here's a rough idea of what I was thinking so far,

Already own

4Ch Amp: JL 300/4 Slash v1

Mono Amp: JL 500/1 Slash v1

Sub: Sundown SA8v2

Idea

Front: Hertz HSK 163L Components - Pretty much decided unless someone can sell me on why not.

Rear: Sundown 6.5CSv2 Components - Not very decided.

I know the Hertz's will be under powered by the 300/4, but I plan to upgrade the amp later on. The SA8v2 will see 0.8cuft tuned to about 33Hz. I was considering the sundown components for the rear because I've read some good things about their previous gen's low-end performance.

I'm aiming for a stealthy OEM look with high quality sound.

Anyone have any good suggestions for rears? or any other suggestions/comments?

Thanks in advance!
Getting a good price on that Hertz set? There's a PHD set on sale here, I'd consider that...hear they're nice. Check out CDT stuff as well, pretty reasonably priced.

Getting a good price on that Hertz set? There's a PHD set on sale here, I'd consider that...hear they're nice. Check out CDT stuff as well, pretty reasonably priced.
I got quoted about $700 from a local Hertz dealer. Was originally going to go through WoofersETC, but a few thread I've read have left me slightly paranoid about getting fake Hertz's.

Which CDTs would you recommend? It looks like the CL642s and HD642s are in the same price range as the Hertz. Anyone know how these compare to the HSKs?

[quote name='andar']I got quoted about $700 from a local Hertz dealer. Was originally going to go through WoofersETC, but a few thread I've read have left me slightly paranoid about getting fake Hertz's.

Which CDTs would you recommend? It looks like the CL642s and HD642s are in the same price range as the Hertz. Anyone know how these compare to the HSKs?[/QUOTE]

Hit up @trumpet, see what he'd recommend for you. He can put together a custom set, maybe even for less. He always has good advice and usually knows vehicle specific installation tips.

Your JL 300/4 could be used to bi-amp the front speakers, but it's not necessary to do so. I recommend CDT MX-Designs MX-363F. The quality of sound is CDT ES Gold level plus this offers an outstanding value. The crossovers with all MX-Designs offer some powerful EQ adjustments that no other car audio passive crossovers include. Since it's not possible to build component systems that are tailored to every vehicle, we need these adjustments to balance the sound.

I can help with adapters for the 6.7" woofers and 3" midrange speakers. The tweeters in this kit are called imaging tweeters, and they install onto the top left and right corners of the windshield.

For the rear speakers I recommend CDT MX-6X 6.5" coaxials.

Thanks for the recommendation trumpet. I'll definitely be investigating the CDTs more. Not sure how I feel about the imaging tweeter mounting location yet, but not ruling them out.

If anyone has first hand experience with both the Hertz and CDT speakers, I would love to hear your impressions. Until then, back to the Google grindstone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendation trumpet. I'll definitely be investigating the CDTs more. Not sure how I feel about the imaging tweeter mounting location yet, but not ruling them out.
CDT makes a lot of tweeters, so if you would rather have a traditional style tweeter that can be done easily. For example, the MX-1 tweeter comes with a flush mounting cup and it's a 1" soft dome.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.