Mecp Master Installer Test= ********

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, there's plenty of people who need to design Zobel networks, if you're designing your own speakers. People are still buying the Loudspeaker Designer's Cookbook, even though you might think it's archaic //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I recently passed the FCC's Extra amateur radio exam, and I had to learn how to calculate complex impedances and plot RLC circuits using polar coordinates. Do any EE's even do that outside of college-level courses anymore? I highly doubt it. But as to understanding what a modern tool like SPICE is telling you, it can be useful...

If you're saying the test should be revised to keep up with advances in technology, I can agree with that. But learning the theory behind the electronics is what it's about...otherwise, how are you expected to implement all the fancy, new stuff?

In summary, stop whining.

Amen, I was on the MCSE/CCNA track several years back and gave up as the company I work for didn't really require it. Final straw was a new hire who had both certs and was working on another one who came to me for help doing her basic networking homework //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif I realized then they were pretty much useless.
My only advice is to make sure it's REALLY worth it to you, and if it is, figure out how to pass it. I'm assuming it's made that hard intentionally, so very few will pass it, otherwise it holds no real prestige. Seems that's the point and really has nothing to do with actual knowledge/ability to install.
It's about dedication. You have to really know everything, even the things that you perceive to be dumb things. It's just how it is.

Ok I recently took and passed the revised MECP Master exam. All I can say to you is that you sound like an elementary school student saying when am I ever going to need to know this crap so first stop whining. Much of the information covered on the master test maybe things that when needed you can look up however that one time in your entire career that you do need to know how to design a zobel network, or the obd pin out for a CAN or SAE-j1850, or even how to use a transistor in a low current switching application and don't have access to the Internet or a reference you will wish you did.

As for the test being outdated I do not think it is as it covers much of where the industry is headed and that is factory integration. It covers MOST, CAN and GMLAN all of which are things any installer today needs to know about. Also which you installers does not use relays on a daily basis? The test goes indepth on advance relay functions as well as vehicle electrical systems including hybrids something elese we all should know.

While I will agree a written exam is not the best method for test ing ones installtion skills it is the only practical way to do so as of right now.

well i cant speak about being master certified, but i am advanced certified. my fellow co-worker, whom is in college majoring for electrical engineering in memphis, looked over the master study guide for a week or so and passed the master exam with a 88%. he said it was tough but very doable with proper dedication. i seem to get the vibe from this whole thread that your upset that you didnt pass the exam because you think these things are not appropriate for everyday use. but its not about everyday use. its those complex situations when you need to get it done and done right and you dont have the material on the internet or pamphlet to look at. i know that after the advanced test, i felt so much more comfortable working on cars, escpecially newer vehicles. now i use relays on almost all my installs. great way to add parts, money, and labor. i do work at best buy. they do not require me to persue any higher certification than basic. its the dedication and the "want to" to learn everything about everything. it is this that makes you one of the few, the proud, the master certified. lol.

ps. sorry about the laughs i got out of your misery. but keep trying bro. you will get it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thanks for the input guys, both constructive and negative.....

If you would like to jump on the bandwagon of someones displeasure by writing it off as whining, then I guess you have your right to your opinion.

It just kinda ***** that in a community of information and knowledge, the best constructive criticism i can receive from my fellow members is to say stop whining.

If I'm wrong and I need to study more....OK fine....I can take that. I have to agree with that actually.

Unfortunately, your opinion matters very little to me based on the content of your response. But good job getting certified......

Myself and I'm sure other people reading this post, appreciate the constructive criticism and positive input to offer solutions and suggestions. To those of you that choose to teach and coach in a positive manner without personally disparaging remarks......Thank you! Your input matters the most!

Yes jim he is not listening to reason at all. He asked for the opinion of a master. It was given and yet gets ignored. As said head over to carsound and pm Todd Ramsey so you can ignore him too.

lol....i can take that....thats pretty funny....yeah I am whimpering a little... venting....*****ing....ok....
but WTF can you say? Did YOU pass it?

I would like to hear from some people that have passed it so I can learn what they know...or get some guidance on what they suggest to learn and how to learn it....as well as have the test updated.

Im laying out on the train tracks...for all you mouse clicking desktop train conductors.... just so the people that care about it... can offer constructive criticism and offer solid opinions.
dude what the hell is this? stop crying. nobody comes here to hear you ***** and moan. get a girlfriend for that ****.

Thats cool....take all of what you would like out of context.

Im listening to all of you....taking in all of it. Some of it hurts, but so does not passing it. And yes I am displeased with myself for not achieving it....but after taking it, and relating it to what I have been doing to earn my living around many many other experienced and skilled installers, I feel that the test in its form when I have taken it was very skewed from what the reality of the application of the knowledge really is.

Thats why I wrote it....to stimulate conversation....not to sidestep the issue and bash members that dont deserve it.

Many of you know much much more than myself.....never once a question. I didnt invent this shyt. Nor did I say that your achievments are unvaluable.

If you would prefer to be d1cks about it....go right ahead....Im sorry that you feel you need to reply in posts this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...