Mid's bleeding through and distorting tweeters. bad crossover?

Participant count
  • Participant list

timma100
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
This started happening a couple months ago, running a Hertz EP4 in 2 channel on a pair of Hertz mids, highs, and crossovers. (I honestly don't remember the model its been so long sens I looked at them) The deck is a DEH-80PRS, fronts are crossed in the deck at 80Hz with a 12db slope (trying to eliminate this issue) and the amp is wide open. No settings have changed, but now when certain mid bass frequencies play in tracks, they come out of the tweeters as well, completely sounding like **** and distorting everything. I don't think the tweeters are blown, because songs that don't have certain mid bass frequencies play perfectly (mid bass actually comes out of mids and highs are clean). So im kind of at a loss here, my first assumption is that the crossover is bleeding through (perhaps they're blown) but I really don't know.

Any advice would be awesome, im happy to test any suggestions.

Thanks and I hope you're all enjoying your Christmas

If the crossovers were blown then you would have no sound on all or some of the speakers. So I doubt they are. Prolly just a phase or setting issue Try setting the deck a bit higher in the frequency filter and toning down the bass a bit not should work

If the crossovers were blown then you would have no sound on all or some of the speakers. So I doubt they are. Prolly just a phase or setting issue Try setting the deck a bit higher in the frequency filter and toning down the bass a bit not should work
Everything's flat on the deck, cross is as high as it will go for the fronts :\

Everything's flat on the deck, cross is as high as it will go for the fronts :\

Thought you said they wee crossed at 80 hrtz
Oh yeah my bad, crossed them at 120hz, mid driver output is nearly gone, but in extremely low bass songs I get occasional popping through the tweeters when the bass hits (sub 30hz stuff). Crossed at 200hz the mid drivers do nothing but highs are clean

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.