Mids bottoming out on one side, not sure what to try?

Chaotic_Thought
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So i have a basic CDT comp set in the doors of my '03 f150. I don't know the exact model numbers. They are being powered by a Crunch P1-5000 off of a 880prs.

I have no midbass response. I mean none. I could be listening to midranges and tweeters and not have more midbass than what i have now. The doors are not deadened which i know is not helping the situation, but i expected atleast something better than what i have.

The other issue, is with all settings set to equal between the sides, my driver side will bottom out long before the passenger side does. I get a very loud pop on hard drum notes. What could cause one side to play different than the other side, given they are both eq'd and set off the same gain? I have Auto-TA and Auto-EQ both turned off, fade and balance zero'd. Both sides are set off the same gain knob.

I have tried swapping the phasing around to try and get better sound but nothing has worked so far. Any advice?

Much appreciated.

well the 1 door may be more open then the other so it bottoms out easier. try putting a box behind them so their in the doors yet sealed so it should sound ALOT better and act the same

well the 1 door may be more open then the other so it bottoms out easier. try putting a box behind them so their in the doors yet sealed so it should sound ALOT better and act the same
Yeah i don't see that being possible with a window track within a few inches of the speaker frame.

Temporarily reverse your amplifier/h/u output and see if the bottoming out issue changes to the other door. This will tell you if its a problem with the door and/or speakers, or if its an amplifier/signal issue.

or swap that mid to the other door and see if it does it on the other side...if so its a speaker issue.

Also, maybe your decks preout voltage is messed up. Could be higher on the left front than it is on the right......

midbass cancellation at your ears? try fading all sound to one side to see if the midbass increases, if it does its probably a cancellation issue. In that case time align, your left and right and watch the difference.

usually, just dropping speakers into doors without recreating factory seals will results in no midbass. also, using your balance as suggested above will check for acoustic phase which may be able to be corrected by swapping polarity on one driver.

seals required are as follows:

closed cell foam between speaker basket and door metal or baffle.

closed cell foam between speaker baffle and door metal.

open cell foam between front of speaker basket and plastic door panel

i need to draft up a diagram showing this but here are some pics

2008ScionxB031.jpg

2008ScionxB032.jpg

2008ScionxB035.jpg

2008ScionxB034.jpg

usually, just dropping speakers into doors without recreating factory seals will results in no midbass. also, using your balance as suggested above will check for acoustic phase which may be able to be corrected by swapping polarity on one driver.

without deadening - the foam seals required are as follows:

closed cell foam between speaker basket and door metal or baffle.

closed cell foam between speaker baffle and door metal.

open or closed cell foam between front of speaker basket and plastic door panel - when you remove the panel again you should see a line in the foam indicating a good seal was made

i need to draft up a diagram showing this but here are some pics

2008ScionxB031.jpg

2008ScionxB032.jpg

2008ScionxB035.jpg

2008ScionxB034.jpg

also, i have had the surround on speakers come detached from the basket or cone - this causes the speaker to pop at higher volumes because the cone is no longer properly centered. you will need to remove the speaker and carefully inspect the connections at the surround. if you have tears along the seam, you can repair the driver with a fine bead of silicone along the seam. if necessary, i can detail this process as i have done it successfully several times.

Okay resurrecting my old thread. After swapping the RCA's the popping did switch to the other side. So one channel is seeing more power than the other.

Now on my 880 i did have to do the trick of wrapping a ground around the RCA connections to get rid of static that was coming through my front stage. Any chance this could be causing a problem?

I am going to check voltage from the head unit to the amp itself, what is the recommended tone for this? I was thinking 125hz or so?

Yep RCA's sound bad. One RCA probably has a poor connection, so in order to reach your desired power output you need to jack up the gain. However because the other RCA is fine, now you are over-amplifying one of the channels

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.