Mono amp with 2 speaker terminals?

Participant count
  • Participant list

cossix

I have two 2-ohm subwoofers that I am trying to calculate the load for, but my amp is throwing me off. The system is just temporary but I would hope to get decent performance for the time being. Here is some info:

Amp: 400W into 2-ohms

200W into 4-ohms

NOT 1-ohm stable, has TWO speaker terminals (+-+-)

Subwoofers: TWO 2-ohm SVC woofers

400W RMS each

I am trying to figure out how underpowered/overpowered these subs are, when each subwoofer lead is connected to each of the 4 terminals on the amp 2x(sub+ to amp+, sub- to amp-).

Logic tells me that the amp's two + terminals are internally connected, and the two - are connected as well. Following that, having each amp's + and - connected to the subwoofer leads will produce a parallel 1-ohm load. Is this correct?

The kicker here though, is that the amp manual says that it is not 1-ohm stable, but has a diagram of my exact setup and says each subwoofer can be 2-ohms minimum. Isn't that contradictory?

If my speakers are underpowered, then I'm definitely considering disconnecting one of them and just having the 400W @ 2-ohms go straight to one subwoofer. Can anybody offer some insight on this situation??View attachment 26557449View attachment 26557449

It's a cheap ol' Mbquart FX 1.400 and some Kicker 10CVT102 I believe. I'm replacing the whole setup with a Rockford Fosgate amp and Focal 8" sub soon but I'm pretty sure in the meantime I'll just take one of the subs out because I'm certain I'm running a 1 ohm load which is bad.

What are the side effects on sound quality when being dumb and running a 2ohm minimum amp with a 1 ohm load? Because it plays, and doesn't sound the worst

It's a cheap ol' Mbquart FX 1.400 and some Kicker 10CVT102 I believe. I'm replacing the whole setup with a Rockford Fosgate amp and Focal 8" sub soon but I'm pretty sure in the meantime I'll just take one of the subs out because I'm certain I'm running a 1 ohm load which is bad.
What are the side effects on sound quality when being dumb and running a 2ohm minimum amp with a 1 ohm load? Because it plays, and doesn't sound the worst
Sound quality?.. how about no sound... lol... some amps handle under minimum impedance loads better than others... IDK about that one

They ought to sticky the answer to the original thread question... I see it all the time... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.