my amp keeps cutting out...why?

Participant count
  • Participant list

audioman
10+ year member

michigan
i have a jensen XA2100 200 W amp. it is pushing 2 12 JBL's 4 ohm. i have it bridged, and am rumming the speakers in parralell. it hits good and sounds fine but the protect function keeps coming on when i try pushing them. can anyone tell me why? i know jensen is not top of the line... but it is what i have for the time being. my old mtx amp kept blowing the fuse when i had it hooked up the same way also. please help!!!

hey man I happen to have some experience with those speakers the stereo store I used to work for carried jbl speakers. We had several people have the same problem. The answer is actually 2 things. First a Jensen amp is not designed to handle a 2 ohm load (if you have your speakers paralleled that is what the amp sees) also, If you have a meter, you will be able to test the actual speaker resistence and you will probably find that your jbl speakers say they are 4 ohm but in fact read less in turn putting more stress on your amp. My suggestion would be to put your amp in stereo or series your speakers. Wire the positive from one sub to the amp and the negative from the other sub to the amp, and wire the remaining pos and neg together on the speaker

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.