My Audio build. Recommendations on speakers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Deadlocked
10+ year member

Hey guy's so I'm pretty much a complete noob at audio and I'd like some help if possible. My birthday just passed and the girlfriend bought me 2 x Alpine Type R SWR-12D4's. Each sub is rated at 1000W RMS, so I went ahead and bought the Hifonics BRX 2400.1d amp from sonic electronix. I plan on getting it installed at an audio shop and from what I read it should power both subs to 1200W RMS at 1 ohm but I'll probably tell him to turn the gain down abit I want to minimize the chance of blowing anything.

I haven't done the big 3 it whatever that is and I still have my stock HU but I plan on getting either the Pioneer z140BH or the Pioneer Z3 are they any good? I'd like to upgrade my speakers so I've done a lot of research and this is what I've come up with.

Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System or

Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" Car Audio Component System or

Infinity 609CS 270W (Peak) 6-1/2 x 6-3/4 Two-Way Component System Speakers or

JBL P660C 6-1/2" 2-way Power Series Component Speakers System

I will amp these up but don't know with what yet.

Keep in mind I listen to a lot of Rap/Hip Hop/Spanish music/House music/Electronica

Which of these speakers would you choose and why? I've read reviews that the infinity kappas are too bright or something don't really know what that means. I was planning on getting coaxials for the rear speakers, but I heard I shouldn't. Why not?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the coaxial polk audio db651s and I love the sound of them. They lack a bit in the bass department, but if you're running 2x alpine type r's, you got the lows covered. I have one in each door running on 50W/piece and they get loud while still clear. I'm assuming the polk audio component set db6501 have a similar sound. Can't comment on those other speakers.

Also, running coaxials in the rear are fine. People prefer components because of the separate woofer and tweeter, meaning they can place the tweeter in the best location, rather than being stuck on axis of the woofer like coaxials. For me, it's convenient running components up front because I can use the door speaker location and stock tweeter location in the dash. If I ran components in the back, I'd have to modify the interior plastic and drill a spot to mount them. If you want that extra little bit of SQ, run components in the back as well, but you'd have to custom mount the tweeters somewhere.

It's an ok starter system if your changinging the speakers. Don't expect them to sound good unless you deaden the doors and amp them
I agree on considering amp'ing your door speakers. The Pioneer z140BH is only 14 watts/ch and you can pick up a 4 channel amp at 50W/ch for pretty cheap nowadays (improve SQ and SPL). The polk audio speakers are pretty efficient, but I would still be worried about the sub's being way louder than everything else. You can always try your setup with the speakers running off of the head unit, but my vote definitely goes for a separate amp.

As for sound deadening, it does help, but I would put your money towards an amp for the door speakers first and if at some point you have extra cash, then look into sound deadening.

I agree on considering amp'ing your door speakers. The Pioneer z140BH is only 14 watts/ch and you can pick up a 4 channel amp at 50W/ch for pretty cheap nowadays (improve SQ and SPL). The polk audio speakers are pretty efficient, but I would still be worried about the sub's being way louder than everything else. You can always try your setup with the speakers running off of the head unit, but my vote definitely goes for a separate amp.
As for sound deadening, it does help, but I would put your money towards an amp for the door speakers first and if at some point you have extra cash, then look into sound deadening.
I'm definielty amping up my speakers but not the stock ones probably the aftermarket one's ill be getting. I'm still torn between the Alpine SPR-60C or the Polk Audio AA6514-A MM6501 or JBL MS-62C.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.