My install! (Pics; 56k might be a little slow)

beckSHO
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Michigan
Well, I started Monday, installing my Pioneer 6800MP into my 97 Taurus SHO. Because of the electronic climate controls, I can't simply do a dash kit and be done with it. The stock radio is decent for somebody who isn't an audiophile, however, it didn't meet my needs. The cd changer was broken and the sound quality wasn't up to par. Not to mention, radio ****! So, I looked for a solution. After doing a lot of reading at some SHO forums, and other Taurus forums, I made a decision. I was going to put the deck where the ashtray/cigarette lighter was. To do this, I would need to do some fiberglassing, and wire the thing up without a harness. I also chose to move my cigarette lighter to another spot, so I could use it to charge my cell phone. So, I picked out a deck, the Pioneer 6800MP and got on my way. This was my first time using fiberglass, so it might not look as good as it could have turned out. Also, I was in a hurry to get it done before school started. I was limited on time because of football, work, and other engagements. After football is over and I have more time, I will sand it back down again, and smooth it out a lot better. I am also going to try and find a paint that matches the rest of the center console better.

Now, on to the pictures..... Overall, I REALLY like this deck. Has everything I would need. It even has a battery voltage meter. Although, I doubt it's that accurate.

SHOCDPlayer001.jpg

SHOCDPlayer002.jpg

SHOCDPlayer003.jpg

SHOCDPlayer004.jpg

SHOCDPlayer005.jpg

It is a pretty tight fit, but there is still plenty of room to take out a CD while in drive. However, when in park, the shifter knob is RIGHT up against the cd player. Who would have ever thought the shifter knob would double as theft protection? Although, I will most likely end up taking the faceplate off during school, and at work.

SHOCDPlayer006.jpg

SHOCDPlayer007.jpg

This is where I moved the cigarette lighter to. It's in a foldable cup holder. It will work when the cupholder is folded out, and in. A good spot for it, I thought.

SHOCDPlayer009.jpg

And the car it went into, my 97 Taurus SHO. 3.4L DOHC V8, welded cams, Flowmaster 40s, and a CAI. It's fairly quick, not a race car by any means, but it'll work for me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Not to mention, those Flowmasters sound BEAUTIFUL on this car. I surprise quite a few ricers with this thing...

SHOCDPlayer008.jpg

Let me know how you like it. I would love some constructive criticism, anything to help it look better. Also, if you have any question, feel free to ask. Thanks guys.

does it TOUCH the radio, or put any pressure on the screen? If so I would redo it and move it back a little bit.
No it doesn't put any pressure on it. It's a bad angle, but the knob on the deck is just to the left of the knob, so it isn't touching.

you weren't kidding about it being RIGHT up against it in park. looks nice though.
Haha, yeah I know. But thanks for the compliment.

dash kits for taurus' are really gay. The fit is horrible and looks way to cheap and extremely plain. Kudos on the glass work.

To clear up the confusion, they make a dask kit for the Taurus's with the MANUAL climate control. The ones with the knobs to control the heat and everything. They do not make one for the ones with the digital climate controls. Trust me, I looked into it a lot. I was even thinking about cutting the top half of the radio part and fiberglassing my deck in there. But, on the backside of that peice is a big circuit board. You would need to cut the top half of the circuit board off, and then solder some jumper wires to connect it back to the other half. Many have tried this, and none of them got it to work. I'm not a master solderer, so I thought I wouldn't even give it a try. This works just fine for me. I like it a lot.

beck, that is extremely clean! I love it! Good job, looks great. Never seen one done like that before.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/clap.gif.178cba2c538c68e720c727fcb024b19c.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/clap.gif.178cba2c538c68e720c727fcb024b19c.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/clap.gif.178cba2c538c68e720c727fcb024b19c.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif
Thanks man, it still isn't quite done. However, it'll have to do for now. After football is over, I will have more time, and I will be able to work. I plan on sanding it back down and smoothing it out good, then repainting it. After that, I'm gonna invest in some Crystal SSCS6's powered by a JL 300/2. They'll be ran IB in the doors with a couple layers of deadening over the doors. Then, further down the road, I might buy a sub. But I think the midbass and all coming from my Crystals will be more than enough. If I don't like that, I might decide to run some eD eu700's in the rear deck. Who knows though... That won't be for another 2-3 months. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Taurus dash kits FTL, i have an '03 and have never been able to get it to fit right.

ill get some install pics up soon, it just got a total revamp.

but real nice work, i worked with fiberglass for the first time this weekend too

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

beckSHO

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
beckSHO
Michigan
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date