Nbs GMC Sierra Silverado ext. amp rack ideas

els1989

CarAudio.com Elite
Minnesota
So I want to incorporate an amp rack to my truck with 2 fans for my twisted sounds 1.8k. thinking of going with a smd temp sensor setup so it only turns on after my amp reaches a specific temperature... Anyone have any suggestions as to amp rack style/ what fans are the highest quality and quietest/ and so forth

Amp is currently mounted under box flat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I want to incorporate an amp rack to my truck with 2 fans for my twisted sounds 1.8k. thinking of going with a smd temp sensor setup so it only turns on after my amp reaches a specific temperature... Anyone have any suggestions as to amp rack style/ what fans are the highest quality and quietest/ and so forth
Amp is currently mounted under box flat...

You ever thought of running power wires through the back wall vent and keeping secondary batteries and amps in a toolbox?

I have considered doing this as its a pain always working around the wood. My trucks 3 door which im sure you have 4, but it would benefit you still.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

Haven't thought about it my truck has a cover on the box but I don't run a tool box also I like the idea of it being in a climate controlled environment... I've thought about mounting slanted on birch ply with fans against the back wall or still under the box... Or over the tranny hump... Or lol tranny hump under the dash

9ffbd4d4cf00e751ecce9bda22c9911a.jpg

1f11075ede71a544857dd563b5a7545b.jpg

I've got some room under there I think if I mount on a ply board and give it a slight tilt to the front that would allow for plenty of air movement with 2 120mm fans blowing on internals back plate off to allow more air movement ... Of course I'd cut out holes for the fans and should have a huge thermal advantage and be able to play full tilt for longer periods of time... Also where does everyone mount their ground on these trucks... Maybe my ground could be partial cause of it getting warm

Don't run wires through the vent. Those leak like crazy to begin with. I sealed off the one on passenger side. Helped a ton with exhaust noise. Driver side was leaking so I sealed up the edges with silicone.

Either drill a hole and mount ground to frame or sand down a spot in the cab and mount the ground to there.

Seems like your idea for the fans would work.

Don't run wires through the vent. Those leak like crazy to begin with. I sealed off the one on passenger side. Helped a ton with exhaust noise. Driver side was leaking so I sealed up the edges with silicone.
Either drill a hole and mount ground to frame or sand down a spot in the cab and mount the ground to there.

Seems like your idea for the fans would work.
Thats why you put a rubber gromet...

Those vents are made for cab pressure which is why you arent suppose to cover them.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

+1 on rubbet gromet, almost did that myself but the wire fit under the door step trim. make sure the rubber gromit is tight and the wire doesnt get sliced on the thin metal from the back of the cab

many people have sealed off those vents, there's numerous other locations in the truck that leak air, with AC vents and the bottom of the door panel being the other (there's holes in the door to let water out). i need to seal off mine still, i see them open when bass hits.

I don't understand how you can tell him to install a grommet in the vent. That makes no sense. You literally said to run the the wire through the vent now your saying to install a grommet. Sealing off one of the vents isn't going to hurt at all. I did mine that way because my exhaust exits in front of my right rear tire. Still need to put foam over the driver side.

I don't understand how you can tell him to install a grommet in the vent. That makes no sense. You literally said to run the the wire through the vent now your saying to install a grommet. Sealing off one of the vents isn't going to hurt at all. I did mine that way because my exhaust exits in front of my right rear tire. Still need to put foam over the driver side.
drill a hole by the air vent and use a grommet, yes. please dont put a grommet on it and run it through the air vent.. id run the wire along your frame securing it along the way with bolts and ties.

Center stud for seat support strap. Thats my ground point.
I used the 5/16 stud for the lug wrench secure point... It's all sanded down

As for the space under the box I have 4.5 inches of space... Now when I run fans should I use both as intake fans and drill a third hole for the air to exit as an exhaust port or have one intake and one exhaust fan?

drill a hole by the air vent and use a grommet, yes. please dont put a grommet on it and run it through the air vent.. id run the wire along your frame securing it along the way with bolts and ties.
I currently have the power ran through the firewall and inside the floor trim piece

I'm currently driving across North Dakota on 94 ... At highway speeds in 3rd gear so my truck isn't constantly down shifting 2800-3000rpm bumpin full tilt just realized my voltage is jumping between 14.5 and 15.2...... Idle in my truck she sits at 14.68 so on my meter it reads 14.7...

Is this surging anything to be concerned about? Punchy bass seems to have the most effect on my voltage jumping over 15v

I wouldn't worry about it. Depending on temperature agms like below 14.7 but you won't hurt it at 15.

Get your truck tuned, I have the Diablo sport tuner. I can drive 90 at 2k to 2200 rpms with 35 inch tirea and 3:73s lol

I wouldn't worry about it. Depending on temperature agms like below 14.7 but you won't hurt it at 15.
Get your truck tuned, I have the Diablo sport tuner. I can drive 90 at 2k to 2200 rpms with 35 inch tirea and 3:73s lol
Yea I run 35's too not sure what my gearing is... I need to do something idk what kinda roads your driving on but this road is nothing but rolling hills constant changing elevation...

Trucks cam'd with shortys it would be nice to get the full power out of it.... Dynod at 220 as it sits

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

els1989

CarAudio.com Elite
els1989
Minnesota
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from