need help 6x9 speakers installation

Participant count
  • Participant list

kirstin

ms
I just got a sony cd player installed and now i bought some 6x9 speakers, I have a honda civic and it has never had those type installed before only the front door speakers. I need to know how to wire it from the cd player to the 6x9's in the rear and what accessories will be needed for this procedure?

Originally posted by kirstin:I just got a sony cd player installed and now i bought some 6x9 speakers, I have a honda civic and it has never had those type installed before only the front door speakers. I need to know how to wire it from the cd player to the 6x9's in the rear and what accessories will be needed for this procedure?
Are there places to mount them in the back ? if not you will need to do one of two things.

1. Cut holes two install them = lot of work

2. Get some 6x9 boxes. Walmart sells them, so does radioshack. They are pretty cheap.

Installing everything is pretty simple. First thing is two mount the speakers themselves. Via a couple of screws.

To run the speaker wire you will probably need about 20' to 30' of let's see you are running the 6x9's off o the deck I take it. So 16-18gauge speaker wire should do it. You can also find this at walmart or radioshack. You will need to run two sets of speaker wires. Before you put it in the car. Take one set of the wires and put a piece of electrical tape around each end. This will help you a little later
Next Figure out where you are going to run your speakerwire. The easiest place is usually underneath the door jams. Route the speaker wire from the speakers to the front of the car. Run the wire under the back seat under the carpet, underneath the door jams then under the dash. You can run both speaker wires down the same side of the car. leave excess wire at both ends you can always cut off the excess. Once you have the wire run. You will need to pull the cd player out of the dash
to get to the wiring harness on the back of it. Locate the wiring diagram that should have come with the stereo. There might also be a diagram on the stereo itself. Find the 4 wires ( two positives and two negatives) for the rear speakers. They should be labled as LR+,LR-,RR+,and RR- . The wire should have polarity markings. Either a stripe, or a different color wire. These are to help you connect the positive from the cd player to the positive of the speaker and the same with the negative. To connect the wires. You can twist the wires together and use electrical tape, you can solder the wires together and use electrical tape, or the easiest secure way would be to use butt connectors. These are little metal connectors with a plastice shield around them. You slide one wire in one end and crimp it. Then do the same with the other wire that you are connecting to it. Now grab a piece of paper amd a pen. Take the untaped set of wires and connect it to one set of the wires from the deck LR+ and LR-. Write down what you connected the wire with the identifying mark to. Meaning if the wire has a white stripe and you connected it to the LR+ then write down white stripe =LR+. and so on. Now Do the same with the taped set of wires. Remember to write down what you connected each wire to, and remmber to also indicate which set of the wires were the taped set. once this is done you can put the cd player back in the dash. And go to the rear off the car. Bring your piece of paper with ehat wire went where. Now just loacte the set of wires with the tape and connect them to the terminals of the speaker. Make sure you connect the same wire you connected to the positive wire of the cd player to the positive terminal of the speaker. And so on. Then do the same thing for the other speaker. Once this is all done . Sit back for a second and have a listen.

If you need further explanation I can try to clarify anything.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.