need help with installation

Participant count
  • Participant list

burton7
10+ year member

Colorado
Hey everyone, so after waiting a long time I've finally got all the stuff to install in my my new car (2002 subaru legacy) which all be getting Wednesday. This includes:

Headunit - Alpine ida-x305

Front - Hertz HSK165

Rear fill - Hertz DCX165

4 channel Amp - Hertz EP4

Subwoofers - 2 12" Hertz ES300's

Sub amp - Hertz EP1D

Wiring - Connection FSK 700

Roughtly 40-50 ft of Second Skin

I had a guy who was going to help me install all of this but he had to leave town tonight for an emrgency aand won't be back for a few weeks. I am getting my car Wednesday and was hoping to have everything in by Saturday night so I am disapointed but considering trying to do it myself. Do you think its possible or should I find someone who has more experience with installation. I have some basic knowledge but any help would be appreciated!!!

do it right and have someone who is experienced help you or do it all. Run a heavier gauge power wire and do the big three incase you decide to upgrade later. it might take a few days, You have to gut the car to do the dampening and wire runs first. Whatever you do, Dont go to some franchise install place or hole-in-the-wall pos shop. Make sure you go to a custom shop if you do end up going to a shop.

id say if you finished 2nd grade, you can do the second skin no prob. peel and stick haha. now would be a great time to get started on that.

If you dont know what you are doing with the electronics, spend some time looking around on here. this place is such a wealth of info. if you still dont feel confident, try to find someone in your area to help you out. Its even worth making a post on here to see if someone is local that is willing to help out. Definately steer clear of the big install shops. their job is to get you in and out and make as much money as they can on you in that small amount of time, and trust me, they will. Theres a regional section on this forums, check out colorado and see if there is a shop within driving distance.

If you want to just get started on your own and see where it takes you, just ask questions along the way.

Alright thanks everyone. I do have some knowledge of what I'm doing, I can install the head unit with no problem, and the big 3 too. If someone could help me out by telling me how to wire the speakers to the amp that would be helpful because I know how to run all the wires and everything, I just don't know exactly what needs to go where when connecting them to the amp. I know about the ground and power and rem. Wiring, do the speakers just connect to one channel each and that's it? It seems like the biggest challenge for me would be building a box and installing the subs I think

if using a 2 channel amp, the easiest way is just one speaker per channel, + to +, - to -. Just make sure the amp and speakers have the same resistance rating. As far as boxes go prefabs are ok if its built to the proper specs (usually they are just generic, so its sometimes hard to find the correct box), or build one to spec. Building it is going to be significantly cheaper. Ive seen simple rectangular sealed boxes sell for like $60-80, whereas if you have the tools to do it, youre looking at like $30 for everything (wood, glue, screws, wires, terminals, etc.). Look under the box design forum, there are tons of box plans in there that you ca download for free.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.