Need recommendations for 5.25 and 6.5's

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sleeklsc
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Buddies girl wants some for xmas to go into her 02~ Accent. Budgets 200 for 2 pair of coax's ( 5.25's front and 6.5's rear). They won't be amped and will be ran off a a/m headunit. She has 2 10" or 12" cvr's in a sealed box powered by a decent Kenwood amp. So I'm looking for a nice full sounding set with decent midbass and non harsh tweets. They'll have to be something mainstream that she'd recognize as well. Mind you I havn't bought/ listened to coax's in years thus the reason for ur guys' opinions. Heres some I found:

Options must be same Brand, no mixing and matching.

Option 1: Type s's f+r (budget set)

Alpine SPS-510 Full Range Car Speakers at Onlinecarstereo.com

Alpine SPS-600 Full Range Car Speakers at Onlinecarstereo.com

2: Kappa's, Harsh tweets? They've been infamous for that since forever.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_19641_Infinity_Kappa_529i.aspx

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_19729_Infinity_Kappa_629i.aspx

3: JL tr's

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_11398_JL_Audio_TR525-CX.aspx

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_11401_JL_Audio_TR650-CXI.aspx

4: JBL GTO's

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO528-5-25-Inch-2-Way-Loudspeaker/dp/B003KN2TEE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1321453444&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KN2TEY/ref=asc_df_B003KN2TEY1783797?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B003KN2TEY

Last edited by a moderator:
Why dont you want to mix brands?

I have JL VR Tweeters Dayton Mids, Knu Wire, Kenwood HU, Rockford 4channel, MB Quart Mono, Fiamm Battery, Honda Car. Works out great. :p

But seriously

Amazon.com: PIONEER TS-D1302R 5.25 2-WAY SPEAKERS: Electronics

Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-D1702R 6.75 In. 2-Way Speaker with 280 Watts Max. Power: Electronics

Best budget speakers I have ever dealt with. I would really suggest a front component set, but I can tell by your attitude that you probably wont listen.

Phoenix Gold RSd65cs 6-1/2" Radial Sd Series 2-way Component

Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-D1720C 6.75-Inch D-Series 280-Watt Speaker Package: Car Electronics

Why dont you want to mix brands?I have JL VR Tweeters Dayton Mids, Knu Wire, Kenwood HU, Rockford 4channel, MB Quart Mono, Fiamm Battery, Honda Car. Works out great. :p

But seriously

Amazon.com: PIONEER TS-D1302R 5.25 2-WAY SPEAKERS: Electronics

Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-D1702R 6.75 In. 2-Way Speaker with 280 Watts Max. Power: Electronics

Best budget speakers I have ever dealt with. I would really suggest a front component set, but I can tell by your attitude that you probably wont listen.

Phoenix Gold RSd65cs 6-1/2" Radial Sd Series 2-way Component

Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-D1720C 6.75-Inch D-Series 280-Watt Speaker Package: Car Electronics
I'm digging those Pioneers. No comps though. I want to make it as easy as possible.

Have you looked at JBL? The GTOs are supposed to be pretty sweet.
Just checked them out. I like.

I'm getting mixed info on the rear deck size for the car. 5.25's fit and 6.5's squeeze in tightly from what I hear. So the Pioneers at 6.75 might be out of the race.

Running coaxial speakers on head unit power to support a dual 10" sub stage.

Classic! ;p

I know that normal people are hard pressed to drop more money on their car speakers, but with $200 budget you could still get some interesting fronts. Just try to convince your friend that buying a cheap amp and one set of speakers is better than two sets of speakers running of head unit power, specially with one of them in the rear, what a waste. I'd buy the 2-channel Jensen amplifier from sonic for $70 shipped, spend $30 on power distribution block, cables, and accessories, and the remaining $100 on one set of component speakers. I am sure with Black Friday coming soon, there will be something palatable on sale for that price. If you stick with coaxials, the whole project will be within budget with current prices. It'd be a bummer if the is no second set of RCA on the head unit.

PS: orangecavi will be back soon to recommend that you buy Morel Maximo 5 or 5c speakers. j/k

Another option.. if you really want to buy the best there is for this price, at least for the fronts, is the new HAT Mirus set. It's sold online for $140. Based on reports, it's somewhat similar to HAT Imagine, but it's strictly coaxial only. This should give clear and musical midrange and highs, but midbass likely won't be great running on just head unit power and with 5.25 inch cones. Spend the remainder of money on .. whatever.. I can't imagine rear speakers being harsh considering they face the back of my head. I'd get Pioneer 3-way coaxials because they have a tendency to have a weak tweeter. The weaker, the better for the rear.

Pioneer 6.75s come with adapter plates and work pretty good. You cant go wrong with silk dome tweeters like that though
That's good to know. They do look very simaliar to my old rev series speakers. Those sounded very nice.

Another option.. if you really want to buy the best there is for this price, at least for the fronts, is the new HAT Mirus set. It's sold online for $140. Based on reports, it's somewhat similar to HAT Imagine, but it's strictly coaxial only. This should give clear and musical midrange and highs, but midbass likely won't be great running on just head unit power and with 5.25 inch cones. Spend the remainder of money on .. whatever.. I can't imagine rear speakers being harsh considering they face the back of my head. I'd get Pioneer 3-way coaxials because they have a tendency to have a weak tweeter. The weaker, the better for the rear.
I care just enough to help my friend out by finding some decent replacement speakers for his lady and installing them. Theres no need to complicate things. He doesn't want an amp. I'm not going to waste my time convincing him that he should go a different direction.

Thanks for your suggestions though.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ok, found out she has one of those " dual" decks..smh..What i'm thinking now is just 2 sets set of 35-50 speakers. I'm thinking aslong as she has a dedicated tweeter for each it'll get loud enough to keep up with her cvr's. I don't really want him to spend 150-200 bucks on decent ones when powered off a cheap h/u.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.