Need some electrical advise 5k RMS build

i have a frontier only pushing about 2500-3k right now, stock alt and 1 batt. amp is turned down all the way and 1/2 way up on the bass knob i drop to a little over 13v. i get about a .10v drop running as i am, you need a bigger alt and you wont have to worry about "strain on the charging system" its only gonna strain it when your running that alt into the ground trying to charge multiple batts.

i have a frontier only pushing about 2500-3k right now, stock alt and 1 batt. amp is turned down all the way and 1/2 way up on the bass knob i drop to a little over 13v. i get about a .10v drop running as i am, you need a bigger alt and you wont have to worry about "strain on the charging system" its only gonna strain it when your running that alt into the ground trying to charge multiple batts.
A bigger Alt is a good idea, but not always necessary. I've always run a stock alt (105 amp) and never had one die on me. I've run anywhere from 1500-5000 watts, 2 batteries to 7 batteries all on the stock alt with no issues. You say your only pushing 2.5-3k, so I'm assuming your running an amp rated from 3.5-5k, having your gains improperly set and using one of those stupid bass knobs doesn't make much sense either.

You cannot run 5kw on your stock alt. You'll need a good HO alt, at least 3 good batts (preferably 4-5), the big 3, and a whole lot of 1/0. If you want to run with the big boys you need to step up your electrical system big time.
wrongggg.

got a guy on my team running a 14k on a stock alt and 5 batts and doesnt drop below 13

This has always been a pretty big argument weather or not people NEED H/O alts for high output applications. So many people talk about what they have done before without an H/O alt, and I just wanna see some proof of it, like a video or something.

Not cause I doubt these people whatsoever, but to see how people are running these beefy amps on a stock alt. Because I think it would be a great help for everyone to not have to invest in an H/O alt (which is no doubt a good idea in any situation, but not always necessary) if they were to see the strategies used in order to get the best out of your batteries.

I wouldn't even dream of running 5K with less than 3 additional batteries. Amps will power on and it'll "work", but performance will likely be sub-standard if you plan to push things hard for more than a few seconds and you're greatly increasing the odds of smoking the power supplies on your amps.

Go head and do it if you know better, but when you start blowing up equipment don't blame it on the manufacturer and don't try to say you weren't warned. If you were going to throw a 600hp engine in your car wouldn't you upgrade the transmission? If you did not, how long would you expect things to function?

Honestly, I ran a CS 5kW @.7ohm for almost a year with:

Stock Merc 86aH SLA battery, one run of pos and neg 1/0 to a D3100 in the rear, and a 220A alternator.

I wouldn't recommend going this small on electrical for someone who hasn't ran a good bit power before, this was just squeezing by to be honest, but anyhow I'd keep a steady voltage full tilt until about 1 1/2 minutes of slowed bass heavy music.

But because I wanted to be able to play for extended periods, and that my new competitor's organization allowed it for a certain class, I upgraded the front batt to a D3400 and and utilized two D3100s in the rear. I also added another run of 1/0 while keeping the 220A alt. I can play fullt tilt at .5ohms now, easily throughout an entire song and no heavy voltage dropping or heat buildup occurs.

Oops, old *** thread.

But! In my defense, I've had a few tonight, no, make that several, with good reason though! All my classes this week are canceled for the holiday, so party hardy for me. Lol.

What battery was it? a 300 amp draw on a stock alt and one batt and your voltage was a little over 13v? Don't think so bud

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.