[New Member] AMP Problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

dbqkqh

Hey, well, I came across this website because I was looking up how to set my LOC.

Based on some readings here and there, I should turn all my gains on my AMP down, and then turn the LOC all the way up? and then adjust the amp accordingly?

(Please someone verify)

Anyways, what I did, I called the place I bought it from (not sure if advertising another site is allowed, so I will keep it anonymous) and they told me to turn it up just a tiny bit, less then the half mark. So I did, and adjusted my AMP gains fairly.

So, that is one question that just came up to mind off topic from the original thread because seeing how this is a forum dedicated to audio, might as well learn a thing or two.

So first question is, how do I go about adjusting the knob on the LOC? Thanks.

Now back to the main topic:

I have a Mono Kenwood AMP 300 watts RMS powering a Single 12" Boston Acoustics G212SS Sealed Enclosure. Stocked Headunit (which explains why I have a LOC).

I've had this system for about 10 months and I had no trouble what so ever with anything. I enjoyed the amount of bass I was getting an did not have problem with AMP overheating and such.However one night, driving back home, switching from Radio FM to my CD because there was nothing good on, the sub stops working.

I checked immediately upon arrival of my house, opened the trunk, to see that my AMP was not receiving power.

Now, may I add, I am quite unknowing when it comes to the AMP.

What is it should I look for to see why the AMP is not receiving any power?

I've checked the lines and they are fitting and in good condition.

I do however, believe that the fuses (the ones near the battery) are blown, how can I confirm that they are? Also, if that should be the case what should I look for when replacing them? (probably going to pick some up at Best Buy or something).

But then.. there are the fuses for the AMP, how can I check whether those or blown as well?

I've done a lot of research regarding my problem and asked on other forums, and most of them said that fuses were most likely blown and that it is completely natural.

After I really didn't get much response as to how to verify and confirm that the fuses were blown.

Anyways, enough chattering, please, please... can someone help me out?

I haven't been listening to my bass for a week now and... it is driving me insane!!

Sorry for this tremendously long thread but thanks for taking your time to read this and help me out with this issue.

The main power cable that runs from the battery back to the amp SHOULD have a fuse w/in 18" of the battery/power wire connection. disconnect the negative wire from the car battery, then you should be able to take the fuse holder in the power wire apart to check the fuse. If it looks smoked, burnt, or the metal that is inside the plastic case is seperated/cracked/broken, the fuse did it's job. But you need to determine WHY the fuse blew as well. Take the blown/bad fuse with you and get the same size (amperage) &shape. fuses don't blow w/o a reason so you need to find out what caused it, whether it be a bad ground, a short somewhere, the protective coating on a wire rubbed off or nicked, etc. and touching metal, causing the short.

The main power cable that runs from the battery back to the amp SHOULD have a fuse w/in 18" of the battery/power wire connection. disconnect the negative wire from the car battery, then you should be able to take the fuse holder in the power wire apart to check the fuse. If it looks smoked, burnt, or the metal that is inside the plastic case is seperated/cracked/broken, the fuse did it's job. But you need to determine WHY the fuse blew as well. Take the blown/bad fuse with you and get the same size (amperage) &shape. fuses don't blow w/o a reason so you need to find out what caused it, whether it be a bad ground, a short somewhere, the protective coating on a wire rubbed off or nicked, etc. and touching metal, causing the short.

Thank you, I will look into it as soon as I get the appropriate tools

**Bump**

Alright, so I found out what the problem was with the AMP and got my system to work again.

BUT, my question pertaining to the LOC still hasn't been answered.

How do I set it? Turn it up 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%? (Examples).

(25% would represent 1/4 of the turn)

Right now, the setting is around 1/4 of the way.

But, if I can use the LOC to obtain greater signal by going 50% over and still be safe, I wouldn't mind adjusting it.

Anyways, I apologize for asking such mediocre question but I greatly appreciate your help and it would expand my knowledge //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

(I've tried looking around the forum and I just can't seem to find one that pertains on how to adjust it.)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.