New setup! JBL and Massive

Participant count
  • Participant list

E-Rock
10+ year member

Bass of All Basses
Boise, ID
I made this thread before, but it said that a mod needed to approve it and it never went through, so I’ll give it another try.

I decided to give myself a summer project and upgrade my fronstage in my car. I ordered a JBL GTO 752 amplifier, because I had heard they do rated power and I got a decent deal on it. If it doesn’t give me the SQ I want, then I will find something else like a Sundown, but I am sure I will be pleased.

Guts:

Top:

At first I wanted some ID CTX65’s for my speakers, but the company was switching owners, so then I looked at Phoenix Gold RSD’s, but couldn’t find any at a great price, and the Crescendo Audio components are sold out on their site. BnR on the forum posted some Massive Audio comps on here and I felt like I should try them out. Unfortunately a local beat me to the sale, but I got a slightly better deal online. These are Massive Audio VK6’s.

Entire set:

Woofer magnet:

Tweeter:

Tweeter magnet:

This install will take me some time since I want to do a clean job on it, I still need to get power cables and speaker wire. Sound deadening my doors will be first though, but the weather has been cruddy the past few days. This setup is replacing Blaupunkt coaxials running off HU power. Should be quite an improvement.

I was considering putting it into the Build Logs, but since I haven't started working on anything yet, I figured General Discussion was a good place to show off the new stuff.

Well finally got around to start deadening my doors. I was hoping to have some wiring by now, but I had to overdraw my bank account to cover rent for now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I just need a few feet of 8 gauge, a better fuse holder for my main run, and a distro-block.

There is the stripped door, wiped it down with rubbing alcohol. I have one layer of Fatmat on there, I just need to cut some smaller pieces and do another layer and get some foam.

Hope I don't need this, I said fawk it and ripped it off.

I did run into some problems though, my stock speaker mounts are just slightly too small for the Massives, not to mention they are kind of flimsy and cracked from the half-*** install from years ago and multiple hours in 100+ degree heat. I don't have the tools or workspace to make some MDF baffles, if anyone could make me some I would gladly pay as long as it's reasonable.

Another question, how many watts RMS is 4 gauge OFC good for? (about 17 ft)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.