New system indeed does hair tricks.

manyhobbies
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I hav'nt been in here for awhile because I've been buisy working on my trucks system with what little time I have here and there. I decided that I wanted to have a system capable of producing the pressure it would take to do hair tricks. The first time I seen a vehicle do this was on youtube, then I was hooked.

I did'nt realize what it was gonna take so I chose my own path and am very pleased with the end result.

A lot of people only care about a number and whatever hz it takes to get there. Some take the route that I call simple and cost effective, but this route I find undesirable. Then there is the route where alot of cone area and average power do the trick, this is desirable if you have a lot of room.

But what catches my attention and as I beleive this for the average person is a more custom and more desirable sounding system, something loud but will still hit decent db numbers.

Of course this is my own opinion, but I share the same desire with many people.

So I set out to accomplish this, had some idea's here and there about design from some people but nothing seemed to work for me, so I did my own thing the way I wanted.

Too make a long story short I have included a few pics of the install.

It's 4 DB Drive Plt15wd d2 in 5cft per sub ported to 31hz, the power is a Lanzar Opti12001d.

This was a custom simple slot port box that was built and then put in the back of my crew cab chevy truck.

As of now I have metered 152+ at 36hz this was with amp up about 1/4 gain with no bass boost or tuning of the amp. Now granted I do have 8 group31 agm batteries and 1 250amp alt.

Pretty good number I think if your a numbers person, but what I am pleased with is how it sounds, it plays music so wonderfully if you can tolerate all the metal flexing noise. And did I mention hair tricks lol, oh ya it does that pretty well also. I hav'nt done but a few video'd attempts at hair tricks because I had a problem with my amp cutting out thanks to some crappy chineese circuit breakers. But anyway I did do a few vids anyway for the heck of it. As of now I have no sub amp, but when I get my new 1 I am gonna have a hay day with the video camera.

The system is'nt gonna break any records, but thats not what I wanted anyway.

I just wanted to comment that you can have a comp vehicle that does 150db+ that also plays music wonderfully, oh and did I mention good hair tricks lol. Thanks for letting me share my thoughts and experiences. Russ

View attachment 26526277View attachment 26526278

Yup ur right it would gain, but for now I think I'm just gonna brace the roof in between the box and roof. It's loud enough already and I'm certain it will do mid 50's with more gain, but thats to be tested.

Sealing off the front of the box from the air behind it will definitely gain you something. It's a pain to do, but worth it.

The only reason I showed that vid is because it was the first try at a hair trick and also the amp did'nt cut out.

I bought a new amp of the same thing. The problem was that the amp I started with was a used amp that I purchased and I had electrical issues that I was unaware of until I started having problems.

Trust me the amp is of great quality if you know anything about it, besides it cost much less than identical amps with a diff name.

I will be making more video's when I have time, but as of now it has metered a 153.6db at 40hz and does over 150db at 30hz in case you were wondering.

I went from the old system doing 135db at 36hz to this, so you can only imagine the extremity.

Also, there is not 1 square inch of deadening anywhere in my truck.

Thanks for the interest and I will try to keep up the progress posts.

Russ

I built the box as big as I could. I knew in advance that the rear door would have to come off, it was so tight installing that I tore my door seal "shoulda took it off also". Took 4 guys to get it in there.

Verry cool, x cab pickups are not very installer friendlyI am working with a tundra... I know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.