New system issues

bgballin26
10+ year member

Just installed a system in my 2011 Nissan Altima Coupe

Sundown Audio SA-10 d2

Precision Power Phantom p1000.1

Kenwood Exceleon k696

Kicker 1000w wiring kit

Pre fab box 1.5 cuft 42 hertz (plan on upgrading)

The sub sounds awesome, but when i really try to push it my amp shuts off, i'm only running 4 ohms, not sure what that would be wattage wise, but what would cause my amp to shut off? It's mostly when hitting lows. I should be able to push this sub alot harder, i know it's not the sub, so is it because my box is tuned to high and i'm overdriving the amp? Crappy amp? Any help will be much appreciated.

What's the amp doing? Going into protect? Might be your voltage dropping too low. Do you know what your voltage is at when that happens? Might be poor grounds too.

Just installed a system in my 2011 Nissan Altima Coupe
Sundown Audio SA-10 d2

Precision Power Phantom p1000.1

Kenwood Exceleon k696

Kicker 1000w wiring kit

Pre fab box 1.5 cuft 42 hertz (plan on upgrading)

The sub sounds awesome, but when i really try to push it my amp shuts off, i'm only running 4 ohms, not sure what that would be wattage wise, but what would cause my amp to shut off? It's mostly when hitting lows. I should be able to push this sub alot harder, i know it's not the sub, so is it because my box is tuned to high and i'm overdriving the amp? Crappy amp? Any help will be much appreciated.
check all power connections. Especially at the fuse holder under the hood and the grounds. check all amp and speaker connections for a stray strand of wire that may be making contact where it should not. And no, they are not crappy amps, and box tune has nothing to do with it. How did you set the gain? did you verify by ear and eyesight how everything looks and sounds as far as clipping, you may be clipping the **** out of it and causing it to protect too...I mean, if you know your HU can send 2v to the amp, does the gain setting even look like it might be set in the general 2v area? Does the sub sound like it is clipping?

And if you feel like you have to overdrive it, why are you not running it at 1 ohm for 3X the output??

Ok, I did have problems finding a good spot to ground, I ended up sanding a spot close to where the 6x9's mount and using a self tapping screw. So maybe my ground is still not good enough. As far as gain goes, I have never used a bass knob and I'm pretty sure I didn't set it up right. I think I need to do some researching on how to set gain and use a bass knob. I wanted to make sure I work out all the issues before I go 1 ohm, but if it doesn't matter, I will go 1 ohm now. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
My amp is rated at 580w @ 4 ohms, my sub is a 2 ohm sub but it is wired at 4 ohms, so when setting gain with a dmm do I figure 580 x 4 ohms or 580 x 2 ohms then square root?

My amp is rated at 580w @ 4 ohms, my sub is a 2 ohm sub but it is wired at 4 ohms, so when setting gain with a dmm do I figure 580 x 4 ohms or 580 x 2 ohms then square root?
580X4 ohms...should be about 45v...and no, your sub will wire to either a 4 ohm OR 1 ohm load....not a 2 ohm load.

wire to 1 ohm and set the gains right..u probably have the gain set wayy to high and anp is clipping ..full output of that amp at 4 ohms is barely enough to get a sa moving ..so i more than likely got it cranked to get any out out..also yea tuning and prefab box are hurting u

I kinda figured the box was hurting me, tuned to high, and it doesn't fit good at all in my car, i live about an hour and half away from Pro Rabbit and want him to build me a box. When i go 1 ohm will i do 1000 x 1 and take the square root of that for voltage output? 31 volts? On bass boost i'm reading no more than 2 db, and around 60 on lpf? Not sure about hpf though, i know this all will change when i get a box tuned around 32 hertz. Thanks for the help, this sub is barely moving but still sounds so clear and solid, i can't wait to get this bad boy moving some air around, i think it's a great combo for my car.

I kinda figured the box was hurting me, tuned to high, and it doesn't fit good at all in my car, i live about an hour and half away from Pro Rabbit and want him to build me a box. When i go 1 ohm will i do 1000 x 1 and take the square root of that for voltage output? 31 volts? On bass boost i'm reading no more than 2 db, and around 60 on lpf? Not sure about hpf though, i know this all will change when i get a box tuned around 32 hertz. Thanks for the help, this sub is barely moving but still sounds so clear and solid, i can't wait to get this bad boy moving some air around, i think it's a great combo for my car.
yes 1000x1 and no bass boost leave it off ...lpf at 80-100 cross at 80 on hu..no hpf

42hz is not too bad, but it could be better a little lower, depending on the music you listen to..for Rock, Country, etc., your box should sound ok..I would set the SubSonic filter to at least 30hz though until you get a better box. You might be somwhat happy with what you have, if you go ahead and put proper power to that sub, instead of under powering it so much.

I listen to a lot of rap, mostly down south, Slim Thug, Bun B, TI etc.. Occasionally i will throw in some rock but not that often. Nasty08Impala, 138 is awesome! After i get this all tuned and get another box i would love to see what it hits. I'm trying to avoid doing the big 3 or any electrical upgrades at the moment so hopefully going to 1 ohm won't effect my lighting to bad. I live in Stillwater by the Kicker plant and a lot of people around here think Kicker is all that, none of the car audio shops in Stillwater have heard of Sundown Audio. I'm ready to pull up to there shops rattling **** off their walls!

I listen to a lot of rap, mostly down south, Slim Thug, Bun B, TI etc.. Occasionally i will throw in some rock but not that often. Nasty08Impala, 138 is awesome! After i get this all tuned and get another box i would love to see what it hits. I'm trying to avoid doing the big 3 or any electrical upgrades at the moment so hopefully going to 1 ohm won't effect my lighting to bad. I live in Stillwater by the Kicker plant and a lot of people around here think Kicker is all that, none of the car audio shops in Stillwater have heard of Sundown Audio. I'm ready to pull up to there shops rattling **** off their walls!
yea im real close to 150 now ...and kicker is crap....but yea if you listen to rap a nice custom box tuned around 32-33 is a must

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.