new to car audio and lookin for some advice!

Participant count
  • Participant list
hey everyone...i'm pretty new to car audio and i had a couple questions. first off i have a 2012 mustang, came with the shaker 500 audio system, and i have 2 memphis pr10s and a memphis mr1.500 amp hooked up as well. love the sound but the 10s just don't seem to hit low enough so i went out and bought some 12" alpine type r's with the intent to drop one of em in and run the 10's with one 12. after talking to some guys at a local car audio shop they said it was a bad idea cause the two different brands could end up creating problems with each other and that i was better off with removing the 10s and adding one 12 in a ported box or both 12s in a sealed box. so my question is is that true? and if that is true would replacing the 10s with alpine 10s offset that issue? i'm trying to keep that mid range bass that the 10s produce and also add just a little more low end bass...am i even doing this right or am i completely off track with my setup...i'd run an alpine mrx-m50 to that 12 btw...also would i need to run a battery or a capacitor in between the car battery and the amps? which is better? or is it just a matter of preference? thanks

sweet! so just go with the 12s...right now i just have a commercial sealed box for the pr10s. i'm more of a fan of sealed vs ported. the trunk isn't terribly large. the shop i was talkin to said they could fit one 12 in a ported box or maybe both 12s in a sealed box

I don't have any experience with those particular subs. I would go ported, it is usually louder and can get just as good or sound quality. Box makes a world of difference.

It it were me I would download some box calculators and mess around with designs to see what you can come up with. If anything it will make you more educated when you go into the shop.

Here is one of the more common ones. LinearTeam

You can mess around with box size, ported or sealed and trying your different subs and number of subs. It's not to hard to figure out.

well i have an 07 mustang with the shaker 500 also.mine has 1 12 in a large sealed box on 1100 watts rms the wife says its fine,i think it needs more bass . ours also has the 8" subs in the frt doors .i'm gonna redo the whole system maybe for xmas .i'll be doing 2 12's ported a ks 2500 ,ks 100 x 4 for the mids and highs, cdt components for the frt with new 8's in the doors and cdt mb 6 mids in the rear deck,0 gauge all around with a kenwood flipout for the hu

i still have some trunk room with the sealed box ,its pretty big tho i made it that way ,the ported box will be bigger for sure .wont be much trunk left with the new box.will prolly have to build it in the trunk to

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.