No audio with aftermarket stereo in JETTA 2000 TDI

Participant count
  • Participant list

fouchagalaga

Canada
Hey!

I recently got a used jetta tdi 2000 GLS. I wanted to change the radio and replace it with a AVH-X2500. When I connect the whole thing the new stereo (Pioneer AVH) will turn on and connect with my phone and find radio stations, play CDs and all, however no sound goes out to my speakers.

I have read alot about this problem on the net but I have never found a solution.

I used a VW01B Scosche wiring harness made for this car.

I do not think my original radio was monsoon since I did not find anywhere that it was (isnt it suppsoed to be written on it?). The original radio has the tape deck on the bottom and the CD player on top, it was the double DIN version I believe.

The thing that really confuses me is that when the new stereo is on and running in the car, if i connect a random speaker to the speaker output on the stereo, sound plays. There must be some sort of problem with the wiring with the car however I have not found what it could be.

One thing I have found was these two connectors that initially connected to the CD part of the old stereo now remain unplugged. I figured this might be my problem.

The bottom black and brown plugs are for power and speakers. Then the top blue and triangular one held by my hand stay unplugged on new radio.

I cant post a pic since im new here apparently. But I really dont think those plugs will change my problem.

Can anyone please help me so I can understand what is happening here? This is driving me crazy

Hey man I JUST put in an AVH x3500 into my 2011 Jetta S. I hope you installed it yourself so you have a general idea of what you are looking at when you pull out your new head unit. First pull out your head unit an look at the stock harness and your aftermarket one and make sure all connections look like they are being completed between the two. If that checks out and you have the correct harness, pull out the harness from the new head unit and your scosche harness and sit down at a table pull out the two wiring diagrams (should have came with the head unit and in the scosche packaging) make sure the proper wires are connected. If this is not the issue. I would connect the old deck and make sure that still will play through your car speakers if not you're looking at fried circuits for your speakers and you have awhile new project on your hands. If that's not it you might be looking at a bad unit. Best of luck.

Some of the early model MK4 VW's were Monsoon and had a factory amplifier which has to be turned on via a remote turn on lead in the harness (which is different from the 03+ VW's w/ Monsoon which were signal sensing - no remote turn on required).

From the facts I can assume 1. it has factory Monsoon, and 2. it's not being powered behind the radio.

BestKitsget one of these and it should fix you up. It has the remote wire with it for the amp turn on. I would not recommend connecting any remote out on the harness itself. That has the possibility to make check engine light come on.
You're wrong. The turn on wire on that part is for the amplified antenna booster thats built into that antenna adapter. That would help if he was complaining of no AM/FM. There's NO AUDIO at all unless he plugs in a speaker directly into the outputs of the radio.

Also your blanket statement about the CEL is wrong as well. The issue with that generation (and previous) is connecting the amp turn on wire to the car's K wire (data line) which shorts out the data signal - which leads to not being able to scan the car, damaging a scan tool, and in RARE cases a CEL.

While it didn't say it was Monsoon, most of the dual single-din set ups were amplified as well. It was mainly in GLX versions but some TDI's were that way as well.

Take a look at the top of the radio. there should be an image that looks like the circled image in the attachment.

View attachment 26543083

Thanks alot for all of your replies! It is very appreciated this is driving me crazy. Basically i looked at the top of my old head unit. The old head unit works fine and all its just that with the new one theres a conenction somewhere thats not happening in the car. The top f the stereo looks like this. Not very helpful. Could anyone give me a hint as to whats happening?????

i42.tinypic.com/2ypckyr.jpg

please ytell me if you cant open image, Last block reads EXT AMR

Yhank you !!

Thanks alot for all of your replies! It is very appreciated this is driving me crazy. Basically i looked at the top of my old head unit. The old head unit works fine and all its just that with the new one theres a conenction somewhere thats not happening in the car. The top f the stereo looks like this. Not very helpful. Could anyone give me a hint as to whats happening?????i42.tinypic.com/2ypckyr.jpg

please ytell me if you cant open image, Last block reads EXT AMR

Yhank you !!
It actually says EXT AMP. is there anything in that part of the plug? Do you have an amplifier under the rear deck (in trunk) on the passenger side. It's be attached to the underside so look up.

So basically, I cannot find any type of external amp in the car. I might not be looking at the right spot. So the EXT AMP plug goes out from The bottom deck ( tape deck wirh am fm radio) out into the cd player which is the top deck. The top deck also has a blue connector thst comes from the car (this connector that comes from the car is the same as the one that plugs into the EXT AMP slot in the bottom deck and theyre both blue). Finally a connector from the car plugs into the top cd deck. Once everything is plugged in with the new stereo. The two plugs going to the cd player from the car remain unplugged. They are the blue one and the one in my hand on the pic. I feel I need to ground one of those somehow....

i44.tinypic.com/30vcapu.jpg

Hey so I figured out what the problem was. After testing pretty much everything on the car. I found that the rear driver`s side tweater was not functional. I ripped apart the door and noticed that the tweater was unplugged. When I replugged it the whole thing started working -.- Thank you for all of your help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.