ok same subs but different. problems?????

magnumsrt8215
10+ year member

Ok forum members so i got a long story but im not gonna get into all of it. Basically I F'd up 1 of my eclipse subs last summer (alcohol involved) I had no idea it would be as difficult as it has been to find 1. So I had to try something a lil diff. my sub is the sw8122.4 I bought an 88120 on ebay cuz I thought it was the same sub, the seller didnt know the model #. My car is in the shop now having my entire system redone. The damaged sub still plays fine but the aluminum is torn where it meets the surround, it has gotten bigger over time, maybe about 2-3 inches. Anyway i took the 88120 to the shop yesterday and after comparing the 2 side by side there are some subtle differnces. The 8122 is a lil bit taller maybe 1/2 inch the cone is a lil diff nothing major. The installers said it should work but there maybe some cancellation issues cuz the 1 sub is diff from the other 3. They got me to thinking about buying new subs altogether but rite now thats not possible cuz I have some other more important things in the works for the car(supercharger in 2 wks) so I def dont have the $ for that.

What do you guys think? I really respect you guys opinions cuz you have nothing to gain from my situation. I know a shop will tell people what they want them to hear to try to persuade them to spend more money with them. So is there any truth in what was told to me? And really with 4 12's and at least 2500 watts is that 1 subs possible cancellation issue really that big of a deal i mean would I even notice it if it was happening? You can check the pic to see the setup. And with the 1 subs cone being a lil different im just going to invert 2 of them. I go to a lot of car shows so the presentation is important to me, I dont do sound comps so I have no clue what my output is but it makes me happy and thats all that matters to me.

can you please explain how giving them at least 2500watts is not having enough power? If the are rated at 500rms x 4 thats 2000watts. My amps birthsheet it 3214 at 14.4, being as though my car runs constantly at 13.5-6 i say about 2500 give or take a lil, so wouldnt that be just about perfect for those woofers?

you'll probably run into problems considering that the subs are different. Small changes to the T/S parameters can significantly the response of the speaker and can possibly cause cancellation or other problems. It can work, I just wouldn't do it.

Thanks for your input. Another question my cone it torn near the rubber maybe about 2-3 inches long the shop that's doin the install said I can't use it cuz it may cause a short and blow out my equipment does this sound like something that can happen? I ask this cuz the sub has been like this since last summer playing just fine.

Thanks for your input. Another question my cone it torn near the rubber maybe about 2-3 inches long the shop that's doin the install said I can't use it cuz it may cause a short and blow out my equipment does this sound like something that can happen? I ask this cuz the sub has been like this since last summer playing just fine.
ummm...i highly doubt that that will happen. However, i've never used a sub with a torn cone. Somehow, i don't see that happening though

Lol at the installer. he's blowing smoke or just being a retard. a torn cone will not short anything out. A blown coil could screw things up, but not a screwed up cone

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.