Old Alpine HU Model ?- retro system

Flatheadyoungin
10+ year member

Well, I'm still piecing together my retro system for a car that I don't even own, yet. So far I've got 2 decent original Kicker C12's (I need one more in better shape). I have two Punch 150's and maybe two 45's and a 75 on it's way. My NIB Coustic XM3 crossover came.

Next, I'd like to begin my search for a Alpine Head Unit. This is really the hang up on the whole system for me. The subs I can find in decent shape with lots of searching and possibly repair them when needed in the future. Rockford amps, no problem.....plenty of power, and built like tanks. I can conceal the mids and high, even if I use modern stuff. I can find nice Alpine EQ's.....

Nevertheless, it's the head unit that has me stumped. I had a 7815 back in the early 90's and I think I had one a similar to a 7833. My problem is, the new HU have a lot of nice features. Some I can live without, some I don't think I can.

How far back do I have to go to get an Alpine HU that has at least one set of RCA outs, a knob volume control (I hated both of my Alpines with button volume), I'd really like some sort of input for MP3 players......and I know I'm going long here but what about the ability to play CDR's? You alpine guru's, which models would I be looking for?

System plan:

Two Kicker, gold writing 12's, 4 ohm

One Punch 150HD to push them

One Punch 45HD or 75HD for the highs and mids

Coustic XM3 crossover

MB quart 6x9's in rear panels and components for the front

Alpine EQ

Alpine Head Unit????

What else am I missing?

Thanks, I'm having a great time finding most of the old stuff I used to have or lust after!

EDIT: is there a thread that i'm missing that shows the model #'s, features, when they were produced, etc.....

also, a double din would be ok too.....

You can use the KCA-121B on CDA-#### head units to gain an aux input through the Ai-Net changer/processor connection. Here are some pics of models i've bought/sold/used in the past 5 years. All of these can play CD-R, have volume knobs, aux input capability, etc. 1996 is about as old as you want to go to still have CD-R capability. And note that with use and age, the ability to read CD-R's diminishes. You can get a replacement optical pick-up from PacParts.com for around $30 though.

Alpine DVA-7996

AlpineCDA-7996001.jpg

Alpine CDA-7930, ERA-G320, CHA1214

alpineebay0109002.jpg

Alpine CDA-7940/7941

Alpine045.jpg

Alpine CDA-7939 (doesn't have a knob but doesn't use buttons either)

alpinecda-7939002.jpg

Alpine CDM-7874

Alpine023.jpg

This is what i'm using now - a mint condition CDA-7930:

alpinegear0108006.jpg

hey, that's some great info.......thanks....

i could live with push button volume IF i was able to pick up some sort of input for a ipod/mp3 player AND/or the ability to burn a mp3 disc.......i just don't want to have a gazillion discs in a flip case.......i could have about 4 or so cd's and have hundreds of music files.......

what is KCA-121B......i'll do a search

i like the 1st, 3rd and last one.....what are the general feature differences?

Wow, that's a flashback, that 7930 looks exactly like my first HU back in '98. If it wasn't that exact model, it looked the same. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The first one is VERY nice - the DVA-7996 is a great head unit. It would do everything you would want and more (DVD playback for example). The one pictured I got for a steal but it had some issues, I sold it for more than I paid (full disclosure). I would like one in mint condition.

The third is a great piece, one in Mint condition on ebay right now. I always liked the aesthetics of the CDA-7940 and CDA-7941.

The last is what i'm using today. It was new in 1996 and sat on a shelf for over 10 years. it is Mint, works flawlessly, plays CD-R's like any new hu would.

The KCA-121B lets you use the Ai-Net connection as a stereo RCA aux input.

I prefer Alpine CDA-79** models, i don't like amplifiers inside my head units. I also have a CDA-7949, but it has volume buttons so i left it out. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I just use a remote anyway.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.