Old School Kenwood 8020 Amp

Reyvin

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm sure lots of you guys have been through this already. I have an old school Kenwood amp and Lost the power honest and din connection plugs. I'm trying to locate these online and i'm having a hard time. I was thinking of Making my own but I can't find the plastic terminal connector that fits the original and wasnt looking to open it up to swap oem for a home made. Does anyone know of any harness for sale or where i can buy the parts to just make a new plug that fits original? Thanks

I tried surfing both of those companies without success. Im trying to avoid buying generic connection plugs because i'd prefer not to do surgery to resolder them into the unit.

Im attaching a drawing to demonstrate the shape of socket its the power on left not hilighted din Screenshot_20230624_061533_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve seen a couple people pop in the forum requesting specific info on Frankensteining a 6 disc changer from their preferred older vehicle into a current system or some two knobber that “brings them back” get referred to an electronics forum. It seems like a place where less common connections may be exchanged.
May want to look into that if kenwood jvc can’t help you.

This question needs to be asked. Are you sure that the amplifier still works? Capacitors in electronic equipment don’t have an infinite lifespan. It would **** to go through a huge hassle building a connector or finding a 30+ year old original one only to find out that the amplifier doesn’t work.

Thanks all of you folks for the responses. It worked fine last time i used it before i lost the connections...i understand some may wonder why bother and its a valid question. It has a sentimental value, plus i enjoy tinkering which is why i would craft a harness...but if this becomes too much of an inconvenience i can just spring for a new setup...but really would like to take a shot first

has a sentimental value, plus i enjoy tinkering which is why i would craft a harness...but if this becomes too much of an inconvenience i can just spring for a new setup...but really would like to take a shot first
It looks like a standard 8-pin DIN cable. Those pins are actually standardized so any generic cable that has the RCA plugs will work. 8-pin 262° "horse-shoe" type.
Screenshot_20230625-233731(1).png
View attachment 49876
I think this 5-pin will work.
Screenshot_20230626-001458.png

Last edited:
locate these online and i'm having a hard time. I was thinking of Making my own but I can't find the plastic terminal connector that fits the original and wasnt looking to open it up

They need the power connector on the other side. The connector needed has been discontinued for many years.
In that case you may have to McGuyver a connector out of raw bullet pins.
Screenshot_20230626-083554.png

You do not have to acquire the actual plastic casing. I have made these out of gasket maker. You plug in the wired pins, inject the gasket maker between the pins, wrap that in painter's tape, then fill in the tape. To keep the silicone from binding onto the amp's harness you can tape the face before inserting the pins.
I just got an idea, you can use heat shrink tube instead of painter's tape.

Last edited:
In that case you may have to McGuyver a connector out of raw bullet pins. View attachment 49879
You do not have to acquire the actual plastic casing. I have made these out of gasket maker. You plug in the wired pins, inject the gasket maker between the pins, wrap that in painter's tape, then fill in the tape. To keep the silicone from binding onto the amp's harness you can tape the face before inserting the pins.
I just got an idea, you can use heat shrink tube instead of painter's tape.
Awesome...thats the ticket. Thanks again..you folks are great

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...