Oldschool SoundStream MC500

wew lad
5,000+ posts

wew lad inc
VA
So, I may have one of these shortly, I need more information though. I know they're from 89/90, and BigDwiz made an article about their rarity and quality: Old School Stereo: Old School Soundstream MC500 Car Audio Amplifier

But I'm missing information pertaining to what they're worth, and whether or not there's certain things to look for when purchasing one used - as in some components being known to go bad, and value of the amp in non-working condition.

IOg7tOT.jpg

here's a gallery with the rest of the pics:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

These were made really nice. They DO NOT like low impedance and with 20+ year old amp, I'd expect to want to replace electrolytic capacitors now or soon.

It'll be a monster 2 channel if you get it tuned up. IMO not worth a lot broken since you'll want to pay for a big restoration but worth the cost of a restoration for sure.

From what I've seen most of these old school amps are only really worth a premium if they're in immaculate condition and even more with box and paperwork (for collectors).

These were made really nice. They DO NOT like low impedance and with 20+ year old amp, I'd expect to want to replace electrolytic capacitors now or soon.
It'll be a monster 2 channel if you get it tuned up. IMO not worth a lot broken since you'll want to pay for a big restoration but worth the cost of a restoration for sure.

From what I've seen most of these old school amps are only really worth a premium if they're in immaculate condition and even more with box and paperwork (for collectors).
yeah i dont think id run it lol its too nice and old for that. i see these sell for a lot, so once i know if it works or not and how well it cleans up ill know how much its worth

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SoundStream-MC-500-Very-Rare-Old-school-SQ-Underrated-Amp-2-of-2-/111790733841

that's high, but not impossible considering that ones condition

Im sitting on a pretty mint with box and specs of a USA 204(like BNIB)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/santa.gif.e1ec9cf2e0a0dd232ad35aa594a126d0.gif, and a barely used SA-80

As far as being 20+ year old amps..I still run the Dogg **** out of my Autotek Mean machines and BTS series amps/ NO ISSUES..Work just as the day bought

if it works when i pick it up i might just plug it in for a little bit to see how it sounds lol never heard something from that generation

if it works when i pick it up i might just plug it in for a little bit to see how it sounds lol never heard something from that generation
I think the price tag on the eBay one is a bit unrealistic. That guy asks very prices for his amps. Naught for nothing, but you can get as good or better amp for the same money today, so apart from a pristine condition for the nostalgia value that's simply too much money.

If you can get it for a fair price (comparable to good name brand same power today) go for it, run it, and it'll likely still be worth the cost of restoration when and if something ever fails. I would not recommend buying it for high and expecting to get 600+$ out of it.

it's mine now, and i'm pretty **** happy with it. haven't cleaned the outside yet but all the screws came out like pie and the internals look just the way they should. not sure if ill even want to sell it haha

here's a teaser

eU17spN.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i just tested it and its fully functional, im pretty happy. ill send pms out here shortly, i took videos to prove it works if its necessary just give me a few days to stitch the clips together and upload it

Looks pretty clean.

Just a note: look how far apart those components are back in the early 90's.

Today's made amps those same components are very close together. My how times have changed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...